PDA

View Full Version : Hello I'm New here with questions!

2000OUTBACK
08-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Hello all, I just joined here the other day. I have just bought a, new to me, 2000 Outback LS. The interior is shot so my first question is..... Is there a place(boat junkyard) where I can buy some good used interior parts?
The hull on it is in OK shape but needs a good wax/buff. What do ya'll recommend?
Last I wast wondering what knind of tower everyone is using on these boats and what kind of ballast weight?

Thanks, Thomas

kaneboats
08-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Welcome 2000. That's the same boat I have. I wet sanded most of my hull with very fine paper and buffed it out to restore its shine. I also had to redo much of the interior. You probably won't find a boat yard that has interior parts in good condition. But, you will find that the interior cushion backings and seatbacks are made of a vinyl composite material, not wood. They are reusable forever. So you can strip off the old vinyl covers and use them for patterns to have new covers made. This is what I did. I did all of the labor myself and purchased matching vinyl from Great Lakes Skipper. Then I had my covers made to match. I reinstalled all of them myself. Make sure you use stainless steel staples. The result was very good and very reasonable.

2000OUTBACK
08-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I have seen Great Lakes Shippers on Ebay with the interior vinyl. How many yards did it take to do it.
Thanks, Thomas

kaneboats
08-05-2008, 01:06 PM
I think it took about 10 yards all together -- but I didn't have to do any replacement in the bow. My upholstery guy made all the trim pieces. That took up a lot of material.

zabooda
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I reconditioned a 1979 Glastron Carlson back in the late 90's and I basically removed all the seats and cushions and took them to the upholsterer and prepped the boat for painting by removing all the hardware. The seats were redone to look like new and the boat was painted. A lot of money is saved by doing the disassembly yourself. You'll have a new looking boat when your done. Good luck.

kaneboats
08-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey 2000 OB, post some pics of what it looks like now so we can be really impressed with the finished product.

2000OUTBACK
08-05-2008, 09:46 PM
I will snap some tomorrow. Thanks

maxpower220
08-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I re-did a ski boat a few years ago. I pulled everything off of the boat and got the old vinyl off. I took the bases and foam to an upholstery shop for them to sew. I added in a colored piping and asked for double stitching. The finished product was great. I reattached the new skins and saved a lot of money. The finished product was better quality than the stock stuff, I had the colors/pattern that I wanted, and it didn't break the bank. I did it in the winter and told the shop to take their time, so it took a few weeks as they worked on it over time, but they reduced the price for that.