PDA

View Full Version : single axle versus dual axle

55ChevyBrad
11-02-2003, 11:40 AM
I am getting ready to order a 2004 Outback LS and was going to stay with the stock single axle trailer.

What do most of you use???????????? Single or dual???????

I would like to save the money unless it is a dumb thing to do.

Please let me know your experiences.

james yarosz
11-02-2003, 12:09 PM
I bought a new 2003 outback ls last spring.I live on a lake in michigan so i figured i would not do much towing so i got the single axle trailer.I ended up towing it to south carolina and back,(1500 miles)and tennessee and back(1000 miles).The boat pulled great with my F150 pickup.

Cryonchick
11-03-2003, 07:02 AM
I also own a single axle and it tows great. Have towed in excess of 1000 miles and had no problems whatsoever. They are also easier to manuever then the dual axle. As far as which is better/last longer ? I think that it is a matter of opinion. It's not like the boat weighs a ton and you need the extra support from the trailer.........

Catdog1
11-04-2003, 01:43 AM
Agreed, single has been adequate. Very manuverable. Have about 25,000 miles on mine.

Have worn the outside of one Marathon radial into the steel belt --- don't know why, but suspect poor axle alignment from the factory... not adjustable.

Wish it had disc brakes instead of drum. Drum brakes are a constant struggle.

I advise getting a spare as well as a replacement seal / bearing set at time of purchase.

55ChevyBrad
11-04-2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am really glad to hear the positive input on the single axle. I really didn't want to invest $1000 for a second axle. Figure that money would be better spent on boat add ons.

Thank you so much

cola
11-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Tandem axle is the way to go. Single axle can be more than adequate, but double provides a larger margin of safety. I've seen the aftermath of catastrophic blowouts on single axle boat trailers, even with small/light boats, and it has never been pretty. I've experienced blowouts on a tandem, and was thankful to have the second tire. I have owned and towed both and experienced better tracking and tire longevity with the tandem trailer. I feel the benefits outweigh any hassels involved with a tandem. I also agree with the other replies that a spare tire and disk brakes are essential. In my opinion, when I'm on the highway with a million other morons(especially here in Ca.), I want the safest towing setup possible, and I get that with a tandem trailer. Think hard about it before you make the purchase.

cola
11-06-2003, 12:35 PM
Tandem axle is the way to go. Single axle can be more than adequate, but double provides a larger margin of safety. I've seen the aftermath of catastrophic blowouts on single axle boat trailers, even with small/light boats, and it has never been pretty. I've experienced blowouts on a tandem, and was thankful to have the second tire. I have owned and towed both and experienced better tracking and tire longevity with the tandem trailer. I feel the benefits outweigh any hassels involved with a tandem. I also agree with the other replies that a spare tire and disk brakes are essential. In my opinion, when I'm on the highway with a million other morons(especially here in Ca.), I want the safest towing setup possible, and I get that with a tandem trailer. Think hard about it before you make the purchase.

55ChevyBrad
11-06-2003, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the opinion on dual axle. The tough part about buying high end toys is it is so easy to justify every feature. I will just have to weigh everything and see how deep my wallet is.

Thanks one and all

db7
11-11-2003, 05:06 PM
I got a tandem axle when I ordered my boat, The number one reason! My brother went from Bend Oregon to Lake Powell, with a supra w/ single axle. He had 2 blowouts on the trip that made for alot of #%#&^*ing and some damage to the trailer. The tires were in good shape, not sure what the cause was, but the result was ugly.
I realize this may be a rare occurance, but it was enough to sway my vote.
And the resale value seems to be better in the long run on 2 axles.
There are pros and cons to both, just make sure what ever you get, dont look back and say I wish I would have got the other.
When all was said and done I got a pretty good deal on the tandem upgrade, see how much your dealer will work with ya. Good luck

SMUMATTMAN
11-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Looked at the pics...nice rig. Did you end up with the decals on or off. I have a similar rig in blue and decided to take off the large Moomba decal. I have the Outback LS, but added all the Mobius features (ballast, rack, etc.)

Check it out

http://webpages.charter.net/smumattman/IMG_3561.JPG

db7
11-12-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks,
Nice looking set up yourself, blue was my first choice of color, but with a red Suburban I had no option but red.
I currently have the decals on, but I keep wanting to do something different, not sure what. With winter here, and the boat just sitting in the garage I hope to be making some changes to the decal layout.