PDA

View Full Version : A Story about a Boat.....and a Rock.

brentsmiley
08-04-2008, 11:32 AM
So, I was spending a lovely day at New Melones Lake in Sonora CA. Everything was perfect. The water was glass and the day was grand. On the last run to the beach to load up, my boat found a rock. I was over 150 feet from shore and had alreadly throttled down (thank God) when my boat just stopped with a loud thud. No warning at all. No murkiness, no brown in the water, just a rocky spire sitting under the water waiting for me.

After quickly opening my bilge cover and checking for water (none thank God again) I tried to continue to the beach. I realized that I had no steering. Whacked my rudder it seems. After loading up and turning the boat around we headed for the ramp. Luckily the rudder was frozen in a somewhat neutral position and the launch ramp was directly accross from the beach. It's amazing how rudderlike a wakeboard can be when held over the side of the transom.

Anything over 5mpg caused severe vibration, so it was a long trip back.

Seven years and nothing like this had ever happened before.

There is a big ding in the prop, the rudder is bent up into the hull, and I think the drive shaft has a slight bend in it. Expensive trip.

Question, how likely is it that the damage extends into the tranny? What if anything do I need to have my mechanic check other than the exposed portions of the drive train?

We love Melones, but it is at under 50% capacity, impossible to mark all of the hazards so I can't blame them.

Any help would be appreciated.

tazz3069
08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Sorry to hear about the Rock story. I would take it to a certified dealer that can take a look at everything in the engine compartment. Do not just take it to anybody. Call your local dealer and adk the questions.

Tazz

aerophoto
08-04-2008, 04:20 PM
DAm I hit one also but only one ding in each blade in exactly the same place so in she will go tomorrow to get the prop done Fortunate a huge inspection and no other damage just the blades so no vibration no nothing I would have never notice if i did not run my fingers down the blades to check. :(

kaneboats
08-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Dang, that story sounds familiar. I busted my rudder clean off and bent the shaft like a fish hook (almost). Look at my pics from posts about a week ago. We were back in the water today and I felt no vibration whatsoever. I only ran for less than a minute or so after the strike and only low RPM so apparently we didn't damage anything. You are probably going to be OK but you may not know for sure till she's back together and you run her out.

deafgoose
08-05-2008, 12:43 AM
I was quoted 8hrs labour to replace a shaft.

Hitting a rock is not covered under warrantee. That would make no sense.

I would get the damage appraised by a certified dealer then call up your insurance company and claim it.

kaneboats
08-05-2008, 09:43 AM
"That would make no sense"

Are you kidding me? Is your car covered under warranty or insurance if you get in an accident. Same thing with the boat. Warranty is designed for the manufacturer's errors, not yours. You buy insurance for that.

kaneboats
08-05-2008, 09:44 AM
I think I misread your post. You were saying that coverage under warranty would make no sense. That makes sense. Sometimes words get in the way of what we are saying on here. My claim was covered by insurance.

04OUTBACK
08-05-2008, 01:18 PM
I replaced the shaft in my Outback DD last year.. with no experience, it took me less than 8 hrs.. NOT MUCH... but my delays were getting to each step and then realizing I needed another tool.. back to town I went..

I could do it in 4 hours now with knowledge and tools!