PDA

View Full Version : direct drive versus V-drive

55ChevyBrad
11-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Hi, I grew up on the lakes skiing and am finally buying my first boat. I have 3 kids and it is clear that wakeboarding for them is where it is at.

I was originally attracted to the V-drive for the spacious cockpit, but the more I research the more it sounds like they don't handle well for hauling ass around. I figure my boat will be used 50% for high speed hauling at least. I want to be able to have fun at high speed.

Can someone give me some opinions please.

I am looking at a 2004 Outback LS with some added options

#1 Does direct drive really outhandle Vdrives for hauling and cutting at high speed?

#2 Is there any difference in the hull between an outback to a Mobius?

#3 Would rear ballast be enough for good wakeboarding?

#4 Should I reconsider the wakeplate. I was going to skip it for now.

Any info shared would be appreciated. I have been raising kids on 1 income in Santa Barbara/Santa Maria area for 20 years and can finally afford a big family toy, and I want to do it right.

Help

jburnside
11-03-2003, 08:11 AM
Brad,
There is without a doubt a difference between direct drive and V-drive boats. The D-drive boats will handle much better period! If your'e also looking for a good cross-over boat that can handle skiers and wakeboarders then D-drive is the way to go. The Outback LS and the Mobius LS have the same hull. I own a 2003 Outback LS and love it, just wish we would have gotten a Mobius with all of the standard wakeboard options. If wakeboarding is going to become a big part of your families activities on the boat, opt for the 2 bag ballast system and absolutely get the hydraulic wakeplate. The wakeplate on our boat is awesome for fine tuning the wakes shape for both slalom and wakeboarding. I would also reccomend getting the fuel injected motor over the standard, especially if speed is a concern of yours. Have fun making your choice, the entire Moomba line is great, you can't go wrong! We love ours.

55ChevyBrad
11-04-2003, 10:43 AM
thanks for the info, I am very happy to hear your opinion on the direct drive. I was totally locked into the V-drive until about 2 weeks ago. I am 47 and still love driving fast, smoking the tires in my 55 with my kids, and I plan on flogging the boat regularly and want the best handling I can get.

Thanks

tygger6069
11-04-2003, 11:23 AM
Just a short note to go with everybody elses. I would try to test drive both a v-drive and a d-drive boat . the mobius ls and the mobies lsv are on the same hull. I found that the v-drive was a little nicer ride in the rough water. I would also highly recommend the hydraulic wakeplate. Hope that this helps and good luck on your chioce. 2000 Kamberra.

tygger6069
11-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Just a short note to go with everybody elses. I would try to test drive both a v-drive and a d-drive boat . the mobius ls and the mobies lsv are on the same hull. I found that the v-drive was a little nicer ride in the rough water. I would also highly recommend the hydraulic wakeplate. Hope that this helps and good luck on your chioce. 2000 Kamberra.

dndsam
11-04-2003, 07:33 PM
I second the opinion to get the hydralic wake plate. It will cost extra but well worth it!!! I have one on my Supra and would not own one without it.

Good luck, have fun and try both out. It will be a compromise either way.