PDA

View Full Version : XLV Question????

tazz3069
08-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Right now I have a 07' LSV. I purchased this boat for my Wife, Son, and I. I really enjoy it. In the many trips that we have made to the lake, we have made a few friends along the way. Now my boat is too small for all the people. With everybody in the boat and a full ballast, it is hard to get the boat on plane. I did change the prop and that helped a little. Bigger difference when there are a fewer people in the boat.
I understand that the wake on the XLV is insane. I was just wondering if the wake, when the plate is down, is flat enough for skiing? My brother-in-law has the 24SSV. The wake is awesome for wakeboarding. The Wake for skiing is a different story. Can anyone let me know how the wake is behind the XLV for skiing is?
I am chosing the XLV because I can get the bigger engine and can get more people in the boat. My brother-in-law's Supra has the 340hp engine and pulls awesome with a full boat of people and full ballast in it.

Moomba XLV GG 2007
08-04-2008, 01:46 PM
hi tazz3069,
to answer your question, my familly and I have a Moomba xlv gravity games editions 2007, which is an awsome boat. We purshashed this boat last year and since then, we wouldnt let it go for anything. We ride in Magog, which is in Quebec Canada.
We have the 340hp modelsize and i rided with the xlv 2007 but with the 325hp and i swear that it make a major difference.
For the waterski ski wake with the hydroplate down, i dont so it is appropriate. Last weekend i was actually wondering the same thing and i found out that you would probably be able to ski back of the moomba xlv at about 27mph. I wakeboard at 18-19mph...It is a bit fast 27 mph but anyway..it is possible because at 27 mph the wave is very flat.

tlatoani
08-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I have skiied at ~28mph behind my 05 XLV and I didn't mind the wake too much. It's nothing like the little inboards we used on the college ski team, but it's ok. It's no worse than my friend's 22' Crownline IO.

I did have a guy go flying the first time he hit it. At 30mph he took a massive roll. Once he was prepared for it he didn't have a problem. I think I'd have a hard time getting through a course, but that's more because I'm out of shape than the boat :P

Oh, and for a massive surf wake you will want to upgrade the rear ballast(s) depending on which side(s) you surf. The XLV is a great surf boat imo.

cab13367
08-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Right now I have a 07' LSV. I purchased this boat for my Wife, Son, and I. I really enjoy it. In the many trips that we have made to the lake, we have made a few friends along the way. Now my boat is too small for all the people. With everybody in the boat and a full ballast, it is hard to get the boat on plane. I did change the prop and that helped a little. Bigger difference when there are a fewer people in the boat.
I understand that the wake on the XLV is insane. I was just wondering if the wake, when the plate is down, is flat enough for skiing? My brother-in-law has the 24SSV. The wake is awesome for wakeboarding. The Wake for skiing is a different story. Can anyone let me know how the wake is behind the XLV for skiing is?
I am chosing the XLV because I can get the bigger engine and can get more people in the boat. My brother-in-law's Supra has the 340hp engine and pulls awesome with a full boat of people and full ballast in it.

Tazz,

Not to be argumentative but I can't imagine that 15 hp (less than 5%) is going to make a noticeable difference. And, the XLV is a heavier boat. I don't think 15 HP is going to offset the additional weight of the XLV and the additional people you plan to bring.

Al

Ian Brantford
08-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Tazz,

Not to be argumentative but I can't imagine that 15 hp (less than 5%) is going to make a noticeable difference. And, the XLV is a heavier boat. I don't think 15 HP is going to offset the additional weight of the XLV and the additional people you plan to bring.

Al

I agree. As far as I can tell, the 340's main difference from the 325 is at the top end, with a few hundred more RPM -- and I can assure you that this comes at a large penalty in fuel consumption when running in that top end of the RPM range. You can hear the last set of ports opening, giving you that extra tone that says "just flush your money straight into the lake, why don't you?" I have literally watched the fuel guage slip down a couple of times when we were in a hurry to get back to the dock. The 340 probably does give an extra bit of ability to avoid getting bogged down in a tight turn, but it not something to use for long.

If there was a big difference seen between two instances of ostensibly the same boat model, it was most likely due to a different prop. You really should have a low-pitch prop to push any of Moomba's models when heavily loaded.

Here is older thread on props for reference:
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=2657

llxlv
08-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Tazz,
I have had an XLV for 3 years now, mine has the 325 hp engine and have never had a problem of a lack of power, even up here in Reno at elevation. I run 2,000 #'s of ballast as well. The best thing I did was put on the Acme prop 14x14 1/4. It definataley doesn't produce a good ski wake at all.

tazz3069
08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
The main reason for the chage is the space. with all the stuff that goes in it, my LSV gets lost in all the stuff.

llxlv
08-05-2008, 08:14 PM
The XLV has tons of space, I store three surfboards under the plapen when towing, two wakeboards in each side compartment and vests go behind the observers seat, with plenty of room to spare.