PDA

View Full Version : Problems with New 2008 Outback V

voutback
08-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Three problems so far with this boat. Should have taken it for a test drive with the dealer when I bought it but was too rushed to get back to work... :(

First obvious problem was with ill fitting rad-a-cage. Cannot even take the thing down and put it up without a major amount of time and struggle. This operation has to be done everytime I take it in/out of the garage so it is a major PITA. After looking at it longer there are two possible things that are wrong. Either the mounting points of the rad-a-cage on the starboard side are incorrectly located. Or the attachment point of the aluminum tab (which has the helicoil in it) has been incorrectly welded in place. This might actually be the problem because it is obviously not aligned "straight" like the arm on port side. Rather than parking the boat at the dealer I'm thinking I may just get the tab cut and re-welded correctly. This would also mean not screwing with the mounting points on the hull itself.

***** Second problem is the temperature gauge. The gauge seemed to work correctly on the first outing in the boat. However now even without the key inserted it sticks straight up around the 135 mark and does not move from there when the key is turned to the "on" position. I did not make notes from the first outing but I am assuming that the temperature (boat sitting on the trailer with the engine cold) should be at the lowest reading.

I am going to check the grounding and follow Brian Raymond's advice on diagnosing this problem (handed out on other threads). Anybody else run into this problem? The engine is a Indmar 325 Assault (fuel injected).

Third problem is a slight hull vibration issue during low speeds (15 mph or so -- bow is up). The hull vibration/noise is coming from up front. Looks like multiple choice: 1) prop slightly off/not tight; 2) engine/prop out of alignment; 3) rudder is loose. Rudder seems to steer fine. However there was some paint chipped at the bottom end of the trailer (just below where the rudder is) when I picked up the boat. Perhaps the rudder is a bit loose and caused this paint chipping? Hopefully it was not (or previous) prop!

thx,

Voutback.

Kidder
08-03-2008, 05:23 PM
I'd be dragging it back to the dealer and getting all of that fixed immediately.

Sled491
08-04-2008, 12:37 AM
V, I agree with Kidder. Rushed or not let the dealer handle these problems, especially if they have potential to void warrenty. Vibration might be prop by the way, many posts about this vibration traced back to the OJ prop.

wolfeman131
08-04-2008, 08:26 AM
I'll echo what Kidder and Sled have told you. I had a list of things that I thought some would consider minor at my 20hr service, but I thought it was a new boat (08 OBV like yours) and it should be right. My dealer didn't hesitate with fixing anything. The dealership owner looked at one small, cosmetic item and simply said, "That ain't right. We'll get it replaced."

Also, since we have the same boat, I will tell you that Sled is again correct. My dealer switched out the OJ for an ACME prop and the boat runs much better. Lost the vibration and noise.

Not sure where you're located, but watch out for the fuel filter vapor lock issue if it gets hot. Check out the board for more related to this topic, including the quick fix.

voutback
08-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far guys - useful for the uninitiated....

After taking a closer look at things, the prop looked like it might have "grazed" the flat crossbar at the end of the trailer (the one that is supposed to not be touched...). Looking at the prop more closely, there are some very slight marks on it - some look like they have been filed smooth. I don't know why this would happen with the purpose-built trailer. The clearance between the prop and crossbar is very small. Would it perhaps be an "agressive" docking style (i.e. somebody running the boat up hard on the trailer) that would have caused something like that? The vibration (perhaps resonance is a better word) seems to come from the middle of the hull. Is it perhaps something that I am oversensitive to? Do you expect the inboard engines to vibrate the hull slightly at slower speeds. The boat is smooth at higher speeds.

The rad-a-cage is just clearly messed up. I don't know how the dealer sold this boat. I picked it up in Dallas but live in Houston. When I called the Houston dealer, they indicated that they prefer to service only the boats they sell..... what's with that??? Sorry that they did not have the boat I wanted to buy at the time - plus their prices were not exactly making me run in there.

The temp sender is a mystery. I just disconnected it yesterday and then turned the ignition to "on". The temp reading went from 140'ish to the lowest reading and stayed there -- even after the sender was reconnected. According to one of Brian's post this might indicate the temp sender. I also saw that you have to be careful that the temp sender is a Moomba one and not a Indmar one -- calibrated differently apparently with the Indmar one set for 160 degrees.

I'll call the dealer in Dallas and see what they have to say. I'm not a huge fan of driving it up there. The dealer in Houston sounded like I'd be putting it into long-term storage.

thx,

Voutbak

Kidder
08-04-2008, 10:32 AM
As far as that Houston dealer goes...I'd contact Moomba and "discuss" the issue with the lack of support from them.

wolfeman131
08-04-2008, 10:40 AM
V,

I'd call Skier's Choice at 1-800-320-2779 and get someone in customer service to help you out with the dealer in Houston as that's a big load of BS about servicing only boats they sell. I just don't get why a dealer would turn away servicing a boat since I signed a AmEx ticket for just under $300 for my 20hr service last Friday.

I had the same thought as you - I'm new to this and being oversensitive to the noise. Your not as it sounds like our boats had the same issue. Make them change the prop.

Sorry, but I don't know enough about the tower or temp gauge other than make them fix it!

voutback
08-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Talked with the dealer I bought it from. To their credit, it sounds like they'll take care of it correctly and quickly. Only issue is hitting the road to get the boat to/from the dealer. Definitely a preference to not putting the boat in long-term storage at another local dealership.

Voutback

Kidder
08-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Talked with the dealer I bought it from. To their credit, it sounds like they'll take care of it correctly and quickly. Only issue is hitting the road to get the boat to/from the dealer. Definitely a preference to not putting the boat in long-term storage at another local dealership.

Voutback

I'd still contact Skier's Choice about the lack of help from the dealership in Houston.

vkkovach
08-06-2008, 10:35 AM
V,

I'd call Skier's Choice at 1-800-320-2779 and get someone in customer service to help you out with the dealer in Houston as that's a big load of BS about servicing only boats they sell. I just don't get why a dealer would turn away servicing a boat since I signed a AmEx ticket for just under $300 for my 20hr service last Friday.

I had the same thought as you - I'm new to this and being oversensitive to the noise. Your not as it sounds like our boats had the same issue. Make them change the prop.

Sorry, but I don't know enough about the tower or temp gauge other than make them fix it!

Sorry for the hijack, but I really need to get out of California! I payed $400+tax for my 20hr service.We have no other choice as there is ONLY 1 dealer in so.cal.