PDA

View Full Version : Flip-up Bow Light Installed

Razzman
08-02-2008, 09:17 PM
I wife kicked the cover off twice last outing and i got tired of the plastic piece of !$#@ in my way so i rectified the problem :D

ian ashton
08-02-2008, 10:07 PM
I wife kicked the cover off twice last outing and i got tired of the plastic piece of !$#@ in my way so i rectified the problem :D
Very cool! What did that cost, and where did ya get it?

Razzman
08-02-2008, 10:19 PM
They run around $120 but sometimes you can find deals on them. You won't like this :p, but your local Malibu dealer will almost always have have them as they are an option on Bu's. You can find them online as well, the wife actually bought this and brought it home! :D This particular one is made by AquaSignal (http://www.aquasignal.info/ecat/index.php?category_id=1&subcategory_id=1) and is solid stainless construction. There are other brands but i'm not sure of the mfgrs.

gcombe74
08-02-2008, 10:29 PM
So does this mean you have moobabu now? Just kidding... that is way cool and a nice option to have since 99.99% of thime its just sitting there off..

Razzman
08-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Exactly and it makes hooking the anchor line easier too!

Sled491
08-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Very nice looking, seems like it would go in fairly easy. Is that just the picture or does it have a kind of gold color to it when flipped closed?

wolfeman131
08-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Oh, I gotta get me one of those just to see the look on my neighbor's face . . .

He owns a Malibu and likes to show me the "cool things" that make his boat worth $30,000 more than a Moomba

Razzman
08-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Sled that just the color reflection from my tan colored portable garage/boat house ... It's actually more of a pain than it looks like. The blasted wire loom runs right below and is attached via screwed in zip-tie that you cannot get to! But with a bit of ingenuity i worked around it.

Razzman
08-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Oh, I gotta get me one of those just to see the look on my neighbor's face . . .

He owns a Malibu and likes to show me the "cool things" that make his boat worth $30,000 more than a Moomba

YEAH BABY! Now your talkin'! I absolutely love when that happens too! My Brother-in-laws neighbor came over a few months back just literally gushing about the new bu' he just "scored" (actual words) for $57K. I'm thinking A VLX 21 or 23 ... it's a freaking Sunscape 20 with a tower! :confused: I was like WOW Moomba is a great buy! :D

gcombe74
08-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Razz,

you crack me up... at least my wife... I was showing her your light since she puts the truck in the water and takes it out... I was like you will like this addition! She loved it.

of course... the question of does it come in other then gold?.. I was like no see its his boat house.. lol.... then she sees your cross beam so your tower is not touching your boat and says... These guys are as anal as you.. lol... I just have a beam that stands vertical to hold my tower when I garage it... and padding on the boat so they dont touch.. .lol

kaneboats
08-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I need one of those. My chrome cover piece is at the bottom of the lake right by Bob Wells' dock. I'm installing some pop up cleats soon so maybe I'll jump on one of those too. Maybe it will be in my stocking at Christmas.

gcombe74
08-04-2008, 03:40 PM
just in case anyone is looking.

http://www.offshorewakemarine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=298

jetpilot
08-04-2008, 06:37 PM
I like that idea. Nice clean tucked away install when you don't need it. Swell job dude.
________
KTM 660 Rally (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/KTM_660_Rally)

jester
08-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I really need to stop reading the forms. I just found myself another winter project. That looks great. How long did it take? I also noticed a drill do you have to make the hole bigger?

kaneboats
08-04-2008, 11:39 PM
That's my favorite pastime-- drilling holes in the boat or making exising ones bigger.

Razzman
08-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Here's a quick pictorial rundown. Takes about three hours start to finish taking your time including cleanup.

Pull the old stuff off, see how thick it is and groan! :p Cover the area with tape and find centerline

Razzman
08-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Trace template outline on tape and realize how much is being removed! :shock: Check for obstructions and realize wire loom is screwed right next to template cutout! :mad: Get wife to help hold loom away from below and start cutting! :cool: Use drum sander to clean up opening. Fit, sand, fit, sand and sand more until it fit snug & straight with centerline.

Sled491
08-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Um, that's one big hole!

Razzman
08-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Um, that's one big hole!

No big deal, as you can see there's plenty of material there.

cab13367
08-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Trace template outline on tape and realize how much is being removed! :shock: Check for obstructions and realize wire loom is screwed right next to template cutout! :mad: Get wife to help hold loom away from below and start cutting! :cool: Use drum sander to clean up opening. Fit, sand, fit, sand and sand more until it fit snug & straight with centerline.

razz,

Very nice. Saw this on aquaholic's boat aa while ago and been thinking about doing it on mine. What did you use to cut the hole? A jigsaw? If so, what kind of blade?

Thanks,

Al

csmsk
08-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Razz,
what's the clear tubing for?

Razzman
08-05-2008, 10:49 AM
razz,

Very nice. Saw this on aquaholic's boat aa while ago and been thinking about doing it on mine. What did you use to cut the hole? A jigsaw? If so, what kind of blade?

Thanks,

Al

Hey Al! I used a jigsaw with a short medium wood blade. It has to be a short blade so that you can work around the wire loom. I thought for sure there was a cutout behind the bow seatback but there isn't. Consequently you can't get to the screw that holds the loom up.

I cut half the hole out, slipped a tiedown through the hole and slipped the hook over the loom, then my wife got in the boat and pulled down pulling the loom away enough to cut.

Razzman
08-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Razz,
what's the clear tubing for?

It's a drain line in case water gets into the drain cup I guess, the light does have a rubber seal around it and rubber gaskets against the hull. I think it's a precaution thing myself. Go figure though as there were no instructions. I ran the line along the port gunwale then over to the batts and into the bilge.

gcombe74
08-05-2008, 05:44 PM
So to hold true to the ED scale.... How many beers would you say this job is?

Razzman
08-05-2008, 06:42 PM

None if you want it straight on the bow! :rolleyes:

jester
08-05-2008, 06:46 PM

If you have to cut into the boat i would say it is at least a 20 beer job. 2 to get enough confidence to make the cut and about 15 after your done cutting to take the edge off.

csmsk
08-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Yeah, that's about what it took for my heater install. I drilled four 4" holes for the HotTubes, 2 in the walk-thru area and 2 comming out under the seats. I had to up my wifes prozac intake to get her through it!!!

All was fine though.

I'm certainally going to add this flip up light to my winter project list. Thanks Razz... add another hundred to the value of my baby!

Razzman
08-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Yeah, that's about what it took for my heater install. I drilled four 4" holes for the HotTubes, 2 in the walk-thru area and 2 comming out under the seats. I had to up my wifes prozac intake to get her through it!!!

All was fine though.

I'm certainally going to add this flip up light to my winter project list. Thanks Razz... add another hundred to the value of my baby!

There ya go ... thank me with a beer later! :p