PDA

View Full Version : Swim Deck Pads

tazz3069
07-31-2008, 08:58 AM
I was looking for a pad to use for the back of the boat. I am getting tired of people putting on their gear and hitting the back of the boat. I have little dings from wakeboards and skiis. Well any, I came across these. The websight is www.seadeck.com
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x13/tazz3069/Moomba_LG_2.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x13/tazz3069/Moomba_Roo_LG_3.jpg

I still need to find a thin long strip for the rear of the boat just above the swim deck.

gcombe74
07-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Wow I am stoked.. is that storm grey and black? I ordered that.. but I had to pay the full 220 to get the roo in a 3 piece pad. but damn tazz that looks sick... Very nice...

Razzman
07-31-2008, 12:32 PM
I was looking for a pad to use for the back of the boat. I am getting tired of people putting on their gear and hitting the back of the boat. I have little dings from wakeboards and skiis. Well any, I came across these. The websight is www.seadeck.com
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x13/tazz3069/Moomba_LG_2.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x13/tazz3069/Moomba_Roo_LG_3.jpg

I still need to find a thin long strip for the rear of the boat just above the swim deck.

Yup that would be my boat pictured! :D

yearround
07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Love the sea deck stuff, but we on gator grip before the sea deck thing came up, we really like it, but there is no roo on it. really prefer 1 piece over 3.

Sled491
07-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Tazz I ordered mine last week with the Roo. I am waiting with baited breath to see it and get it on the boat! Can't beat the special price!

Razzman
07-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Be VERY careful when applying these! Measure, place and check, check, check! Once these are down, they are down!

tazz3069
07-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Measure 20 times and past once. I like that. I want a product that I can apply and not worry about it comming off.

Sled491
07-31-2008, 10:50 PM
I was wondering what it was going to be like. Are there any cheats that work? How hard is it to center up? Did you work from the center out? Any insight would be appreciated.

Razzman
08-01-2008, 12:38 AM
I was wondering what it was going to be like. Are there any cheats that work? How hard is it to center up? Did you work from the center out? Any insight would be appreciated.

Sled, here's how i did it. Once i had all the glue off i used a scotchbrite pad and alcohol to remove any residue and prep for a nice surface for glue to adhere to. I did this everywhere but the last outer 1" all around so i wouldn't mar the surface at the edges.

Once the platform is prepped, lay the pad on the platform and move it around until your happy with the positioning. I had two helpers, one at each end that lightly held it in place until i was satisfied.

Then i had one hold the pad down tightly at one end and the other in the middle so it couldn't move at all. It comes with a thin paper backing attached. I lifted the other end and peeled back about 12" or so. I layed it down where the paper ended at the peel and smoothed it out with my hands as it went towards the end. Don't push to hard outwards or you'll risk stretching at as you go then it won't fit right.

Once that end was applied i had one helper start peeling the paper back towards the other end and again smoothed my way evenly until i reached the opposite end.

At this point i smoothed the whole pad again and the applied as much downward pressure as possible to really bond the glue. Then i went around all the edges and pressed those down real good. It is important to check the edges as the pad is beveled and you might miss them the first time around. That's it.

If you get a few small bubbles don't worry, try to work them out without applying to much pressure so you don't mess it up. I had two, pressed them down and they went away in the sun & heat. Once bonded and in the heat awhile i don't see how this thing could come off!

Remember, patience is the key! Good luck & enjoy it, it's a night & day difference, you'll see!

Sled491
08-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks Razzman. Your process made me think of some other ideas as it were. Maybe I could lay it out 1st and use some marks for alignment using tape or a crayon or something like that. Do they require you to use a scotch brite pad or was that your idea?

kaneboats
08-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Sounds a lot easier than putting down gator grip or traxx padding. I had to cut mine out wiht a scissors and a knife. It was a little tricky.

Razzman
08-01-2008, 11:18 AM
They recommend it. I didn't when i applied the same material to the gunwale tops, i just cleaned real good with alcohol and it's holding up just fine. But that area isn't wet like the deck either, nor does it get the same traffic. I looked at it this way; it doesn't matter if you scuff it up as your going to have a pad on it regardless no matter whos it is right. The scuffing helps it adhere even better.

2001yellowmoomba
08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Razzman,

Great instructions! I am in the process of ordering the deckpad also with the Moomba lettering. What did you use to remove the old swim platform pad and glue? I see you used scotchbrite and alcohol to prepare the surfice and remove any residue, but did you use any chemical to assist in removing the original pad? Thanks in advance for your help!

Razzman
08-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Glad to help guys! My deck was fairly new at 3 months old so it didn't set long. The biggest issue was peeling the blasted rubber off! What a chore that was. Then i sprayed Goof-Off all over it and let it set awhile and scraped it off with a rigid plastic scraper.

wake08
08-02-2008, 06:54 AM
I just installed mine a little over a week ago. I used Goof Off as well to remove the old pad. Just get the beer muscles flowing because pulling that old pad off takes some work. Once i had all the old glue off i wiped it down with Acetone. I did the install myself and started at one corner and just peeled slowely and placed a little weight on the pad to keep it from bubbling. My BIGGEST suggestion would also be to go around a couple of times on the edges and make sure they are all down. Lastly i placed mine out in the sun afterwards to let adhere. I was out wakeboarding the next day and realized this was the best purchase for my boat this year.

2001yellowmoomba
08-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks wake08 and Razzman. Your experiences will surely help. I can't wait to get my new pad. Thanks again!

spyder
09-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I just got my swim deck looking good with Mineral Spirits.. I washed it down with Soapy Water, Should I still apply the acetone? Do I wash the surface again after applying the acetone?