PDA

View Full Version : transmission whine/squeal

Chris_B
07-31-2008, 08:22 AM
My '02 Outback squeals slightly at an idle, it becomes unnoticeable in forward, but extremely noticeable in reverse. The noise is definitely coming from the rear of the engine (I think transmission). Is this normal or should I be concerned?

mimoomba
07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
I'd have to say it is normal. While I don't really notice it to much in neutral, it definately is there in reverse.

boatsrmine
03-02-2012, 07:00 PM
My 1999 Indmar ZF also whines in reverse. Has anyone else discovered this to be a problem?

DOCDRS
03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
My 1999 Indmar ZF also whines in reverse. Has anyone else discovered this to be a problem?

This is normal, not a problem

mmandley
03-02-2012, 07:59 PM
^ he said. The whine is due to the Reverse gear that has to be used to make it go in reverse.

maxpower220
03-02-2012, 10:13 PM
A whine in reverse is normal. If you are hearing anything in neutral or forward, check your fluid level (while the engine is off). That would be my starting point.

rdlangston13
03-03-2012, 09:05 AM
think this is due to reverse being a spur gear and forward being a helical gear

DOCDRS
03-03-2012, 11:04 AM
think this is due to reverse being a spur gear and forward being a helical gear

Finally !!!!! a spur gear and not a helical gear, the true reason in a nutshell, I'll no longer wonder why and sleep much better....jk, thanks for the info

kaneboats
03-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Everybody in Texas knows the difference. It's a SPUR gear after all.

DOCDRS
03-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Everybody in Texas knows the difference. It's a SPUR gear after all.

And all along I just thought it was a reverse gear :roll:

mmandley
03-03-2012, 07:55 PM
LOL does this mean in an auto transmission this is a Helical gear?

I was almost thinking maybe the reverse was a belt drive, simular to that you see in big muscle car engines that come whinning down the road. I thought this only because when you put the boat in reverse its instant, no waiting like a car going into reverse.

Wish i could find that blow up of out transmissions, i cant recall the transmission type though lol.

this is a nice view of a V drive, it doesnt list what gear is reverse but gives you info on how it looks.

http://www.tadiesels.com/borg_warner-vdrive.html

DOCDRS
03-04-2012, 05:39 PM
now all I have to do is figure out the difference between a helical and a spur ??????

DOCDRS
03-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Spur gear teeth are parallel to its axis
The teeth of helical gears are not parallel to the gear axis; they are set at an angle.

Advantages of the helical gear

Silent operation: In a helical gear train, the teeth engage a little at a time rather than the entire face at once. This causes less noisy power transfer in case of helical gears.
Non-parallel shaft: Helical gears can be used for transferring power between non parallel shafts. Though you have to compromise on efficiency in this case.
Strength: For same tooth size (module) and equivalent width, helical gears can handle more load than spur gears because the helical gear tooth is effectively larger since it is diagonally positioned

Advantages of the spur gear

Manufacturability: Spur gears are simplest, hence easiest to design and manufacture

Efficiency: A spur gear is more efficient if you compare it with helical gear of same size.

Now we all know why and can now talk the gear talk

rdlangston13
03-04-2012, 09:20 PM
thats about all i remember from my transmission class at UTI, spur gears make a noise, helical ones dont...

rdlangston13
03-04-2012, 09:24 PM
LOL does this mean in an auto transmission this is a Helical gear?

I was almost thinking maybe the reverse was a belt drive, simular to that you see in big muscle car engines that come whinning down the road. I thought this only because when you put the boat in reverse its instant, no waiting like a car going into reverse.

Wish i could find that blow up of out transmissions, i cant recall the transmission type though lol.

this is a nice view of a V drive, it doesnt list what gear is reverse but gives you info on how it looks.

http://www.tadiesels.com/borg_warner-vdrive.html

having a hard time finding any type of shift mechanism on that one

mmandley
03-05-2012, 01:46 AM
having a hard time finding any type of shift mechanism on that one

A little better if you want to wade threw the drawing LOL. Botton center of Page 4 shows a reverse gear. This set up looks a lot liek whats in our boats.

http://www.pearson35.com/p35articles/documents/waltervdrive_manual.pdf

rdlangston13
03-05-2012, 07:53 AM
A little better if you want to wade threw the drawing LOL. Botton center of Page 4 shows a reverse gear. This set up looks a lot liek whats in our boats.

http://www.pearson35.com/p35articles/documents/waltervdrive_manual.pdf

this is the vdrive, pretty sure the reverse gear is in the transmission

mmandley
03-05-2012, 09:45 AM
this is the vdrive, pretty sure the reverse gear is in the transmission

Does this help Dave?

The other link i posted is a Tranmission and V drive together. Most of the time thats how you buy them now. I do belive our transmissions run in reverse with a clutch system but that doesnt explain why theres a whine. Whining comes from gears and when its only happening in reverse then it would have to be a gear added, because a gear doesnt make noise in reverse and not forward.

I dont personally know enought about these transmissions and V drive to speak as an expert, i only know what i can find on them. Automotive transmissions are much different.

Page 10
http://marineengineparts.com/20%20engine%20&%20transmission%20components%20page%20176-193.pdf