PDA

View Full Version : Towing with Z-Cargo Bimini

zegm
07-30-2008, 01:40 PM
I was told by my dealer that I could tow the boat with the Z-Cargo top. Well this past weekend I was bored while waiting for someone (to remain nameless) to get ready to wakeboard. I started reading those little decals on the frame of the Z-cargo top. It said DO NOT TOW OVER 45mph?? Anyone take theirs off to tow or just ignore the decal and have at it? We are going to out of town this week with the boat and now I am wondering if I should remove the top and put it in the back of the truck. If I do this I can't take our bikes with us!!!

Dave A
07-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I always trailer my boat with the z-5 Cargo top on. Up to about 80 miles an hour for a couple of hours on the interstate. Last weekend I forgot the kneeboards were on top (oops0 and ran about 60mph and they were fine. I did pull them off when I realized they were on there, but I was at the grocery store near the house, so I should have just left them. I think the only thing you have to worry about is the material on top. I just haven't had the inclination to pull it off the rack before I tow. No problems so far. The dealer said they towed them with the top on. Hope this helps.

Dave

zabooda
07-30-2008, 02:52 PM
My 98 has a solid frame bimini similar in design and I leave it bolted on throughout the summer and travel at highway speeds. My top is pretty much staight on to the wind so it doesn't have any lifting effect. Just watch the front edge as you drive to make sure it isn't lifting the bimini. You could probably tie the front of the bimini down to the boat for added measure.

tazz3069
07-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Z--
I do not have a Z rack. I also was told that you can tow with them. My dealer brough some back from Lake Tahoe with the racks on. Nothing happened. Hoave fun on your trip and be safe.
Tazz

pickle311
07-30-2008, 10:33 PM
I always tow with mine on, I can't put it anywhere else as it's huge. Last trip we took I pulled at 75+ for 3 hours each way. After we got home I inspected it very well and all I found was bugs. These things are solid.

zegm
07-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone!
Tomorrow morning we will start a 6 hour trip and I am NOT going to take the top off. So that means I could put my bicycle in the back of the truck now, just not sure I will have time to ride it since we will be on the boat the whole time! :wink:

newty
08-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Zegm, I was told the same thing. I make hour trips all the time with it but when I made a 6 hour trip I took it off. I found that it fits pretty well in the boat. I remove it and turn it around, then rest the front of it in a towl up against the ski pylon. and then rest the rear on the drivers seat with a towl, and something of the same height on the other seat, ie. cooler duffle bag. I have the snap cover so it held everything in there pretty well. The first time I just removed the canvas and left the frame up there but that is about a 3 beer job getting that all back together. I've found putting it inside the boat works really well.