PDA

View Full Version : Best way to run speakers wires through '08 LSV tower?...

.264 magnum
07-29-2008, 08:28 PM
...for tower speakers.

What's the best way?
How hard is it to do?
I have a wire 15 ft. wire "fish pole".

All thoughts appreciated.

tazz3069
07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
There are several ways of attacking this. Each one is good. What I did was first drill my holes. I then ran a piece of stiff wire down the tube. I made a hook at the end that went into the hole. When the wire reaches the pivot point of the tower leg, with another piece of stiff wire, make another hook to catch the wire in the tube. If this is done right, the two hooks should catch. I used #14 solid wire that I purchased from Home Depot.
Take your time and be patient when doing this. It could take some time. At the base of the tower, You need to remove the foot and drill the hole bigger in the gelcoat. This will allow the wire to pass through and into the under section. I hope this helps.

rbc_racing
07-29-2008, 08:49 PM
On my 07 I drilled a hole from inside the storage compartment on the port side, up through the center of the front base of the tower at an angle similar to the towers. I basically copied what the factory did for the tower nav light wiring, around the hinge, except on the opposite side. I then used fish tape(home depot- electricians use it to run wires through finished walls) and lightly taped a piece of stong string to the forward end of the fish tape with masking tape, with 1 to 2 inches of loose string at the end. I tied a small steel nut to the end of the string and fed it through the tower. when the fish tape got to the end of the section of the tower I used a pocket magnet to retrieve the nut and string and then just pulled the string loose from the fish tape and continued on to the next section. I tried to use the vacuum cleaner method but the string kept getting stuck inside the tower, the fish tape did the trick, though. Make sure you use a long enough piece of string to pull 2 complete pieces of wire through the tower as it is alot easier to feed the wires up from the bottom than pull the wires down from the top of the tower.

.264 magnum
07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks guys this may not be as tough as I thought it would be.

Hillbilly
07-30-2008, 03:00 AM
That sucks my dealer told me the towers were pre-wired......

.264 magnum
07-30-2008, 08:35 AM
That sucks my dealer told me the towers were pre-wired......

My dealer told me the same thing. If my tower is pre wired I don't know where any of the wires are - I'll update later today as I plan to work on the boat a bit today.

Thx,
Ed

deafgoose
07-30-2008, 10:59 AM
My dealer told me the same thing. If my tower is pre wired I don't know where any of the wires are - I'll update later today as I plan to work on the boat a bit today.

Thx,
Ed

They are only pre-wired if you bought tower speakers from the factory.

cab13367
07-30-2008, 11:23 AM
...for tower speakers.

What's the best way?
How hard is it to do?
I have a wire 15 ft. wire "fish pole".

All thoughts appreciated.

magnum,

Below is a link to my install including pics. Mine is a 2006 but should be the same as yours except mine has welded tower feet and I understand that bolted feet were an option in 2008?

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=5467

I used "fish tape" to help fish the wires through.

Hope that helps.

Al