PDA

View Full Version : Towing Mishap(almost)

cola
10-26-2003, 11:34 PM
Just got back from a five day trip to Lake Havasu. We boarded for four days straight on near perfect glass, 80 degree water, almost empty lake. It was the perfect end to the season(the warm one at least). So here's my problem. I was towing on the highway at about 60-65 MPH when the rear section of the wrap around seat came loose and almost blew out of the boat. I noticed it in the mirror and pulled over just as it was laying against the pylon, on the engine hatch. After my pulse returned to normal, I put it back and figured I must have hit a large bump that knocked it loose. About two miles, and no bumps later, it happened again. So I pulled over and stuffed it between the driver seat and the steering wheel. I wound up towing the boat home in the same manner and had no problems. Does anyone know a better way to secure the rear seat, since it doesn't attach in any way? That was my first long trip with the boat and I'm planning many more. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!

mtvfiremedic
10-27-2003, 06:29 PM
was your windshield closed?.. i noticed on my LSV that the rear hatch vinyl really blows with the windshield open. and the guy i bought it from told me that on long trips the seat cushion you are talking about can loosen and blow out. i havent seen it yet. but thinking i need to put some velcro on the bottom on both sides. so other than removing it and storing it.. not sure anything else to be done. put it on your check list.
BTW ..how is your boat running?.. mine has been great.. and weather up here is awesome.. i just scored a almost new air chair on ebay for $450... cant wait to try it. we might have to hook the boats up some time next year on a 4 day..

cola
10-28-2003, 12:47 PM
I always tow with the window closed. Good idea with the velcro, I'll try it. My boat has been running great. We ran all over Havasu with no problems at all. It was a little sketchy going up river to the Topock area. Tournament boats aren't the best for the shallow water, but we were careful and had a great time. I would love to hook up on a 4 or 6 day. Soon as things warm up again. Have you been involved in any of the fires down here? I've been on vacation so I've missed them so far. Going back on duty tommorow so we'll see. By the way, good score on the airchair. Have fun!

mtvfiremedic
10-28-2003, 04:13 PM
no, i didn't get to go to any.... we sent 2 engines on a strike team and a couple batt chiefs... but i was off that day..so working OT to fill in..

SMUMATTMAN
10-29-2003, 10:42 AM
For long trips we always put our travel cover on to make sure everything stays put.

wakeboard dad
10-29-2003, 02:38 PM
matt - I have always towed my boats without the cover so it didn't beat the gelcoat. Am I over cautious?

Yellowmobius
10-29-2003, 02:56 PM
I agree with the Dad, I don't tow with a cover on. It will rub and quite possible dull the finish if not worse. In the case of this post i think the velcrow is a good idea. They make two inch wide velcrow that is very strong.

SMUMATTMAN
10-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Maybe I have been lucky, but have not noticed any adverse effects to towing with cover, but probably good advice to be careful.

DCM
10-30-2003, 09:43 AM
It all depends on the type of cover you have, If it's just a mooring cover then no I would not tow with it on the boat, it will burn the gel coat in the areas where it vibrates and flaps. If you have the cockpit and bow snap on covers they work great when towing, no flapping around to burn the gelcoat. I towed my Outback back and forth to the lakes all summer using it, and no adverse effects.

ProXman
11-05-2003, 09:32 AM
What about gas mileage? Is it better with the cover on? I would think it would be like a pickup with a tono cover. I towed my boat from Georgia to New York with it on just for that reason.