PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump won't stay on...

csumabat
07-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Unfortunately after a day-o-fun this past weekend I noticed that my bilge pump wasn't working. I tried to manually turn it on and it would run for 5 seconds and it would trip the breaker. Does anyone know what might be the problem. I'm thinking there might be a fuse that's blown out but where do I look?

billstephenson
07-29-2008, 12:19 PM
I had the same exact problem with my boat. The bilge would run for a bit then short out. From what i have been told, the motor in the pump is freezing which causes the short. It will lock up here very shortly so you need to replace it. Bilge pumps are very inexpensive, but when not working that water can cause issues.......

csumabat
07-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Bill - Do you know if this is something that is covered under warranty? I've only had the boat for 20 hrs and purchased it this past Feb. My problem right now is that the dealership that I bought my boat from has gone out of business. I'm not sure what to do.

--------------
Christian

deafgoose
07-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Bill - Do you know if this is something that is covered under warranty? I've only had the boat for 20 hrs and purchased it this past Feb. My problem right now is that the dealership that I bought my boat from has gone out of business. I'm not sure what to do.

--------------
Christian

That does not make a difference. Find the closest dealer and you should get a free replacement.

That’s like if you bought a Ford and the dealership you bought it from is gone.. you still have a full warrantee. :)

Mikey
07-29-2008, 09:34 PM
The pump motor has probably got something stuck inside.Mine tripped out a couple times so i took it apart which wasn't too hard to do and found carpet remnants/fibers stuck inside. That may be all that is wrong and save you a lot of hassle. Hope this helps.

james yarosz
07-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Mine did the same thing when it was new.There was little pieces of fiberglass stuck in the pump.The top part of the pump(motor) snaps off and you can clean out the bottom part.(pump).Mine has two different power feeds.There is a fuse under the dash that feeds the automatic switch on the pump,and the circuit breaker on the dash feeds the manual switch.

aintskeered
07-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey All I called the pump manfacturer.. They were great sent me one right out(warrenty). Its pretty simple to change out. Watch out for a little metal screen in the bottom of the mount where the pump snaps into. Its wicked sharp.... Also when When talking to them I found out that the 750 gpm will also snap right into place... "If you swamp alot." They will not let you do a price differance on the warrenty though. Have to buy the 750 outright. My dealer is a long ways away so do what I can myself.