PDA

View Full Version : Ballast pumps wont fill but can empty

deafgoose
07-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Everything was working perfectly fine yesterday but today I was not able to fill any of my ballasts.

I still had some water in the center and left bag so I was able to empty them but they wont fill back up.

WTF?

I checked to made sure the strainer was clean and I also check all the connections. The solenoids were all up also.

04OUTBACK
07-28-2008, 09:45 PM
I think there is a breaker button next to the switches.. try that... then.. I dont know..

deafgoose
07-28-2008, 10:39 PM
I think there is a breaker button next to the switches.. try that... then.. I dont know..

That was the 1st thing I tried. That is simply a power switch anyways. The switches do get power because the LED lights turn on and I can empty the ballasts no problem.

04OUTBACK
07-28-2008, 11:25 PM
so you have only one fill pump.. check the wiring at that pump (under vdrive area)

do you hear any noise when the switch is on?

deafgoose
07-28-2008, 11:43 PM
so you have only one fill pump.. check the wiring at that pump (under vdrive area)

do you hear any noise when the switch is on?

There is no noise.

I checked the wiring on that big white pump and all looked good. Maybe its burnt out? Is there a way I can check it with a multimeter?

dtlaine
07-29-2008, 09:01 AM
If there's no noise when you try to fill, there is something going on w/ your pump. Try the multimeter to see if there is power @ the pump.

If the pump is running, sometimes you get air in the plumbing, and then they won't fill. To fix that, get on plane and hit the fill switches. The force of the boat moving should push the bubble out.

I had both issues w/ my OB V in the past. The bad news about the pump is that the dealer had to fix it. I'm somewhat handy, and I couldn't get it to work. The pump wasn't bad, but it was something to do w/ the wiring.

Good luck!

deafgoose
07-29-2008, 10:03 AM
If there's no noise when you try to fill, there is something going on w/ your pump. Try the multimeter to see if there is power @ the pump.

If the pump is running, sometimes you get air in the plumbing, and then they won't fill. To fix that, get on plane and hit the fill switches. The force of the boat moving should push the bubble out.

I had both issues w/ my OB V in the past. The bad news about the pump is that the dealer had to fix it. I'm somewhat handy, and I couldn't get it to work. The pump wasn't bad, but it was something to do w/ the wiring.

Good luck!

I am gonna take it out today and have a look to see if it's clogged or something. I will check the wiring again and do some test.. thanks!

deafgoose
07-31-2008, 05:20 PM
I am off to take out the pump right now. Before I take it out I wanted to see if a fuse is blown.

How do I find the ballast fill pump fuse? lol

tazz3069
07-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Look under the dash. There is a fuse block just for the pumps. I do not remember the amp size in the fill side. There are 3 of them for the fill side and 3 for the empty side. Check these.
Tazz

deafgoose
07-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Look under the dash. There is a fuse block just for the pumps. I do not remember the amp size in the fill side. There are 3 of them for the fill side and 3 for the empty side. Check these.
Tazz

There are three 5amp fuses for the fill side and three 3amp fuses for the drain side. I checked every single fuse and they were all perfect. So I decided to take the pump out and see if I could get the blade spinning when i turned it on.

Here is a video of the action: http://www.wakesurf.ca/movies/pump.mpg

Does this mean the pump is finished? How much do they cost to replace? I don't want to bother doing warrantee claim because it takes too long.

tazz3069
07-31-2008, 09:51 PM
I know that Jesse C changed his out. I think the tsunami cost about $100.00.

deafgoose
07-31-2008, 10:55 PM
I know that Jesse C changed his out. I think the tsunami cost about $100.00.

My boat has 43hrs on it and I dont use my ballasts that often. I maybe filled them 10-15X so this is not a very reliable pump.

Is the Tsunami a direct replacement or will I need extra fittings to make it work?

tazz3069
08-01-2008, 07:47 AM
I think is is a direct replacement. You would have to ask when you purchase the pump

deafgoose
08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I called my dealer and they are sending me a pump free of charge!

Hopefully it will last longer than 43hrs. lol