PDA

View Full Version : plug for ski locker?

yearround
07-28-2008, 10:54 AM
I have most of the oil cleaned up from the leaking sending unit, i don't know if the leak has stopped, have not been on the water for a few days.

is there a plug that i can put in the ski locker drain hole? any water in the bilge floods forward to the ski locker when ever there is any. any dirty water in the bilge gets everything in the ski locker wet/dirty, etc. i would rather be able to control when i drain the ski locker.

thanks

04OUTBACK
07-28-2008, 12:37 PM
try one of these.. should be available at any marine store or walmart..

yearround
07-28-2008, 05:06 PM
will try that, the hole just looked bigger than that type plug.
thanks

zegm
07-28-2008, 05:08 PM
We noticed after our engines situation that our front ski locker has oil residue in it also. I am going to take the matt out of it and try to clean it out today.

Reese350
07-28-2008, 08:15 PM
On the Outback we had last summer, I just went to the local hardware store and bought a standard tapered rubber stopper and stuck it in the hole. Good to go...

yearround
07-29-2008, 10:20 AM
We noticed after our engines situation that our front ski locker has oil residue in it also. I am going to take the matt out of it and try to clean it out today.

we have had a leak that appeared to be from the oil sending unit. my dealer said there was a notice from indmar that this may not have been tighten properly from the factory. i have tightened it, but have not been on the water to run the engine and see if this stops the leak. we had about 2 qts of oil in the bilge. the front ski locker, mat, ballast bag, everything in the locker was covered in oil. the mat was beyond my desire to try and clean, i threw it out.

i have to back the boat up my driveway (it is steep) to park in the garage, anything in the bilge goes to the ski locker.

the hole looks too big for the regular boat plug, i think it is about 1-1/4". will try and find a rubber stopper like reese's suggestion.

deepcove
07-29-2008, 01:24 PM
I use a cork from a wine bottle.....it fits perfectly.

kaneboats
07-29-2008, 04:07 PM
What did you do with the wine?

zegm
07-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Kaneboats,

I know you are depressed about your boat but ...........:D

yearround
07-30-2008, 12:24 AM
i don't drink, will you send me the proper size cork? or tell me what to get and i can keep the cork and send the wine to kane?

Appleknocker
07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Yearround I found a plug for my ski locker at Menards of all places. If I remember correctly the plug is over 1" maybe and 1 1/4 . Look for the plug in the hardware section. If you would like I can measure mine tonight and let you know the size or take a picture and post of the one I have.

Let me know.

jmvotto
08-09-2008, 08:34 AM
I bought a 1 1/4" inch test plug at the local hardware store, has a wing nut to make a proper fit.:D

cab13367
08-09-2008, 08:51 PM
I found a big, tapered cork stopper at Home Depot and with the aid of a rubber mallet, hammered it in place. It's completely flush with the opening and is a tight fit. Hopefully, that does the trick.

Al

Appleknocker
08-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I found a big, tapered cork stopper at Home Depot and with the aid of a rubber mallet, hammered it in place. It's completely flush with the opening and is a tight fit. Hopefully, that does the trick.

Al

Don't be suprised when you go to pull it out the plastic fitting where the hole is comes with it. This happened to me, I all did was silcone the hell out of it and but it back into place. Remember your dealing with plasic and rubber it doesn't have to be tight or flush to make a seal.

cab13367
08-11-2008, 11:26 PM
I'll keep that in mind but I don't intend to pull it out. I put the plug in to prevent water from the bilge coming into the in-floor locker.

Al

jmvotto
08-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Al,

What happens when or if you submarine the bow and get water in the ski locker that way? The Cork will be hard to get out I assume. I saw these as HD as well, went with the test plug for ease. less than 5 bucks.

cab13367
08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Al,

What happens when or if you submarine the bow and get water in the ski locker that way? The Cork will be hard to get out I assume. I saw these as HD as well, went with the test plug for ease. less than 5 bucks.

JM,

If and when that happens, I will disconnect the ballast bag in the ski locker and use the evac hose and pump to pump it out. That will get most of it. I will then manually pump out whatever is left when I get home.

What is this test plug that you speak of? I looked at everything they had at HD and didn't see this test plug. Could you describe it please? What department in HD do they keep it?

Thanks,

Al

jmvotto
08-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Al,
I found mine at the local hardware store, I went to HD for the wake board rack bolts that I bent and saw the corks there. here is a link to what they look like ine is black. 4 down on the link

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/testing.html

they are most likely in the plumbing or outdoor irrigation section.

cab13367
08-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks JM. That looks like ther perfect plug for this application. I'll see if the local hardware store has them.

Al

yearround
08-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks JM. That looks like ther perfect plug for this application. I'll see if the local hardware store has them.

Al

ditto! I could not find them at Lowe's, will try HD or a real plumbing store. i think my leak is fixed now, so i just need to clean out everything again, then i will be set.

jmvotto
08-15-2008, 10:14 AM
The Local Hardware store was a local "Do it best Center"