PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been to Lake Ouachita

dlb03moomba
07-27-2008, 06:46 PM
My family and some friends are looking at planning a trip to Lake Ouachita later this summer. Anybody have any good/bad experiences. I am mostly interested in places to stay. Has anybody stayed at the State Park Cabins?

SEARK
07-27-2008, 08:17 PM
I've been on Ouachita a few times. Good lake. Can always find a spot to ride with it being so big. Water is very clear.

We've been going there every summer for the past 3 or 4 years and have been staying at Mountain Harbor Resort near Mt. Ida. Has a good marina and you can rent a covered slip to park your boat. They also do house boat rentals there.

I don't know much about the state park though.

Brady Mountain is another good place from what I'm told. Never been there.

04OUTBACK
07-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Check with Jon at Diamond Lakes watersports in Malvern, AR... he can probably guide you on that one..

Jon
07-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey man. The state park cabins are okay. The cabins at Mt. Harbor are awesome!!! There are a few that have a private dock with it. 50 yards from that dock is a subway on the water and a gas station/convenient store on the water. Nice riding spots around that area as well. When exactly are you coming? Maybe we can meet up and ride.

dlb03moomba
07-28-2008, 11:07 PM
I am thinking of coming in mid September. Is this too late in the season? Will the water be too cold?

Jon
07-29-2008, 10:20 AM
that time is perfect. You will miss the summer crowd and the water will still be warm

adsman
07-29-2008, 11:25 AM
My family and some friends are looking at planning a trip to Lake Ouachita later this summer. Anybody have any good/bad experiences. I am mostly interested in places to stay. Has anybody stayed at the State Park Cabins?

we stayed at the campgrounds at the Ouchita State Park. Had a great spot on the water. While we were there, I went over to check out the cabins, and there were some maintenance guys working on the cabins, so I was able to go in them to check them out. As far as cabins at at a state park goes, I thought they were "nice"... The one that I looked at was recently redone. The maintenance guys said they were in the process of remodelling all of them. I would make sure that you ask for a remodeled cabin if you book at the park... not sure what the old ones are like....

The cabins were on the water, but I couldnt tell if you could tie up to shore right there. The marina (very close to the cabins) offers mooring bouys and docks for rent if you want to leave your boat in the water.

Mountain Harbor was booked when we went, and if I remember correctly, their cabins were considerably more expensive... both places have a lot of info online.

We made the drive from Houston and we loved it. We camped for a week in mid may and the lake was GREAT.... I see myself going back every year.

dlb03moomba
07-29-2008, 09:41 PM
It looks like we are going to stay at one of the cabins at Mountain Harbor. The website says there is a marina and boat launch. Do they charge to launch a boat at the marina if you are staying there?

SEARK
07-29-2008, 09:58 PM
They don't charge to launch at Mt. Harbor or least I've never paid to launch there.