PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing

Yellowmobius
10-24-2003, 08:43 AM
One of my mufflers was cracked last spring and I am wondering if it was because there might have been water in the muffler all winter. Does a guy have to make sure the mufflers are completely drained? There can't be that much water left in the mufflers, can there? Is there an easy way to check (wishfull thinking)

james yarosz
10-24-2003, 09:12 AM
last spring i bought a new outback ls. i had a problem with a cracked muffler.(i think the outlet clamps were over tightened) i had a temporary repair done to get me through the summer.at the end of the season i took it to the dealer and they replaced the muffler. when i winterized the boat,after draining everything i run two gallons of antifreeze through the engine.while sucking in the antifreeze i noticed the other muffler leaking at the outlet.i took the two clamps off and pulled the outlet hose off,and found the end of that muffler cracked.(overtightened clamps) ratherthan take the whole boat back to the dealer they agreed that i could just bring the muffler in. when i pulled it out it had quite a bit of antifreeze in it.(probally almost one third full). i could see how this could damage the muffler if it was water and it froze.

Cryonchick
10-25-2003, 05:54 PM
It is always a good idea to use antifreeze through the boats cooling/exhaust system prior to winterizing. You never know where in the system that water has built up and not drained (mufflers). Run the boat out of water with some sort of fake-a-lake system until you see the pink antifreeze coming out the exhaust consistently. Be sure to catch the exhaust water as not to contaminate the environment. I use 2 5 gal. buckets to catch what comes out. It doesn't take long for the antfreeze to cycle all the way through and out the exhaust.

Good luck...