PDA

View Full Version : Help, Rock chips from towing

cake
07-26-2008, 12:26 AM
I have a black 04 LSV and take very good care of her. I have developed quite a few rock chips from towing even though I only tow 2-3 miles. I apparently need mudflaps on the Suburban. What is the best way for me to get these rock chips out?
ALso, I use vinegar & water every time out & it works great for the water spots to keep it looking great. Question is how does this affect the wax? How often do you guys wax & what wax do you like best. Thanks.

jkendall79
07-26-2008, 01:25 AM
It depends on how deep the chips are. If they're not too deep you might be able to wet sand them out. As far as waxing, I use Meguiar's Marine Pure Wax. I'm kinda a neat freak and get bored easy, so I wax my boat once a month, but 2 or 3 times a season is probably sufficient.

gcombe74
07-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Cake..

had the same issue.. except that I tow 45 miles each way ... get some rock tamers. they mount to the hitch and wont let anything by!
they hang down about 2 in off the ground... look bad I know.. but they come off when you take your reciever out.. that way you only use them when you are towing...

find a dark wax... that is about all you can do... most probably wont come out.

Razzman
07-27-2008, 05:11 PM
On a dark gelcoat, trying to sand them out will result in a slight depression that's noticeable unless you do it over a wide enough area. Simply use a new sharp point Sharpie pen in the chip and it will virtually disappear.