PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft Mistake

TheBeeZ
10-24-2003, 08:08 AM
A friend of mine bought a 2004 Mastercraft X-Star this week. The boat cost $70,000.00. He loaded up several friends yesterday and went to the lake after filling the ballast we were ready to wakeboard. The boat would not plane off! He is sick. He called the dealer and told him to come and get the boat. I told him he should have bought a Moomba.

Yellowmobius
10-24-2003, 08:38 AM
WOW, I CAN"T even think of spending $70,000 for a boat!
(not that I have $70,000) I agree I am perfectly happy with my Mobius!

lowdrag
10-24-2003, 08:15 PM
I hope for your friends sake that he had some break in time on the motor. The last thing I would want to do with a fresh motor on a 70K boat is to fill it with a bunch of people and ballast and go wakeboarding. Give the motor a little time to run itself in before making it work hard.

That being said I hope there was something wrong to it to begin with and that they don't try to say it was damaged because of his actions.

waterboy
10-25-2003, 02:11 AM
It just blows my mind that the high end watersports boats are pushing 70 grand. I wouldn't want to own one, but I wouldn't mind a ride in one!

Brian

Cryonchick
10-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Kind of makes you wonder what the heck they are putting in them things to cost that much !!!!!!!

They may be nice, BUT not THAT nice !

Hope it all works out for him.

Catdog1
10-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Do they really cost 70?

I could pursue three or four dreamsports that have nothing to do with water for the monthly payments associated with 70.

wakeboard dad
10-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Boy, aren't we all glad we own/love/want Moombas. I can't imagine spending 70 grand for a boat that doesn't sleep 6 and have a galley and a head.

SMUMATTMAN
10-26-2003, 10:36 PM
Obviously, the friend has alot of spare income or makes money using the boat. As for me I went to the local boat show last winter and wasn't given the time of day by the GQ looking twenty something salesmen even though I told him I was interested in purchasing a boat at the show. He actually looked at my beautiful wife and said "You don't ski do ya" (ya butthead she skiis and wakeboards.) We walked over to the Waterski Boats Dallas booth:) and were treated great by Ronnie and Marty so we bought a fully loaded 2003 Moomba Mobius. Geez, I guess I saved about 35K and get amazing service and support from Waterski Boats Dallas. We put 40 hours on it this summer and it rocks!!

waterboy
10-27-2003, 03:25 AM
70 grand? What does it use for ballast? Money? :p

TheBeeZ
10-27-2003, 10:50 AM
UPDATE
The dealer got the boat running. They left off a line to the fuel intake thus the boat was running on half of it's cyliders. It ran great once they corrected the problem. Like you guys I can not get over the price tag! It is nice and it has every bell and whistle that you can think of but when you compare it to my outback there is little difference. The ride and wake was really no bigger or better than weighted v-drives I have ridden in. So all I can say is "Show me the Money!"

dndsam
10-28-2003, 09:01 PM
"We walked over to the Waterski Boats Dallas booth and were treated great by Ronnie and Marty so we bought a fully loaded 2003 Moomba Mobius. Geez, I guess I saved about 35K and get amazing service and support from Waterski Boats Dallas."

They are a great group up there in Dallas. They are up front and down to earth. I highly recommend anyone looking for a Supra or Moomba to check Ronnie, Dennis or Marty out before you buy. They will treat you like people are supposed to be treated.

I bought my Supra from these guys and I was looking for a MasterCraft originally. I found out what you really get for your money, not just an old name from 1968.

CWS_Kahuna
10-29-2003, 10:39 AM
I just can't imagine why someone would want to spend $70,000 on a waterski/wakeboard boat. You can get a top notch similar type of boat from any other manufacture for much less. For my Money I will stick with Skiers Choice Supras and Moombas. I have no real complaints with my 2001 Mobius, it's a great boat and puts out a decent wake.