PDA

View Full Version : engine idleing high

yager97
07-25-2008, 03:23 PM
my engine, when initially started, will idle fine. however, once i run it, and put it back into neutral or slow down, it will more often than not idle high. any ideas what this could be? I have replaced the cable on my perfect pass thinking that it could have something to do with the kink that was in the cable, however it is still doing the same thing. If i turn the boat off, and turn it back on, it will idle normally when i turn it back on, i think this is because the servo motor on the perfect pass does an auto tighten. why does it not tighten when i return the throttle into a neutral position? normal idleing range for my boat is 900 RPM, my boat will often idle at 1200-1400 RPM because of this, and you cant change gears at this idleing speed, very dangerous to the transmission.

mvd
07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Same problem here on my 06 mobius.
Only wat to let the idle be normal is to give a litlle throtle when in gear or put in in neutral als give a little throtle.

Its verry anoying and dangerous.

gcombe74
07-28-2008, 06:09 PM
What year make and model do you have?

yager97
07-30-2008, 09:37 AM
03 mobius lsv, multi-port fuel injected

jbrown
08-26-2008, 02:09 PM
I have 2006 outback with 325 mpi assault and it idles high every 2-3 times I restart it someone suggested fuel filter and I will try that but does anyone have anything else to try.

mnpracing
08-31-2008, 10:25 PM
I have an '06 Outback V and have the same issue. I rev the motor in neutral after pushing in the button on the throttle. This brings the rpm down but it is very dangerous especially when I'm docking and need to go into reverse quickly.

Chris_B
08-31-2008, 11:01 PM
This is one time a carb is nice...simply adjust the screw. I'm not sure about EFI.

mnpracing
09-02-2008, 03:50 PM
I talked to Rob at skier's choice and he suggested that the return spring on the PPS (pedal position sensor, or "throttlemate") was missing/weak/misadjusted which is not allowing the cable to return to it's full idle position.

I also have the issue of not being able to make slight speed decrease adjustments when I'm in the 20mph range or slower without moving the throttle lever significantly back, which then just dumps the throttle and I lose 5+ mph at a time. He suggested that it may be the same issue.

I won't be back in the water until at least the weekend, if it gets warm enough so if you fiddle with it let me know if this was the issue.

mnpracing
09-04-2008, 01:18 PM
I've now talked to my dealer and to Indmar as well. My dealer thinks that the moomba cruise is faulty and is interfering with the throttle even when it's not being used. Indmar is almost positive it is the pedal position sensor. There is also a thread on here from last year where a guy had the same problem and it was fixed by replacing the pedal position sensor. So who knows...