PDA

View Full Version : My girlfriend hit a rock! *pics and vid*

deafgoose
07-22-2008, 08:38 PM
My gf was pulling me while I was wakeboarding and she went thru a shallow area and hit a rock. We were able to continue driving but I kept the speed very low because it was making a weird noise!

Here are few pics of the damage. I am a little worried about the get coat. The mechanical side of things was really easy to fix but the gelcoat is a whole different story.

http://www.wakesurf.ca/pictures/prop1.jpg

http://www.wakesurf.ca/pictures/prop2.jpg

http://www.wakesurf.ca/pictures/prop3.jpg

The stock prop on the 2008 OBV is 13.7 X 17.5. My dealer suggested that I upgrade to a 14.25 X 14.0 that comes standard on the 2008 LSV. I made the switch and hot damn what a difference!!! :D

Here is a video of the new prop. They were just making sure the shaft was still ok. I love the sound of the exhaust outside of the water! No wonder those Baja boats are so loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woIi1QaNmrg

Sled491
07-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Gel coat can be easily repaired by a good fiberglass shop. As it looks like you can see the fibers, I don't think I would leave the boat in the water for any lenght of time before I got that fixed. If water gets into the fibers of the glass you get blistering, and I'm pretty sure that won't be covered under warrenty.

deafgoose
07-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Gel coat can be easily repaired by a good fiberglass shop. As it looks like you can see the fibers, I don't think I would leave the boat in the water for any lenght of time before I got that fixed. If water gets into the fibers of the glass you get blistering, and I'm pretty sure that won't be covered under warrenty.

Oh no!

My dealer said I would be ok until the fall and have it fixed at the same time I winterize the boat.

Sled491
07-22-2008, 08:51 PM
DG, hey I just saw a picture on the internet, your dealer saw it up close. But I would still watch it and maybe even get him to put something in writing. The repair is no big deal and shouldn't take more than a week. Just make an appointment and that way your not wiating in line with your boat on a trailer. Because we all know down time in the summer is no good.

jester
07-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Dang that sucks. So do you still have a GF after this? I am new to props so what did the prop do for you?

deafgoose
07-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Dang that sucks. So do you still have a GF after this? I am new to props so what did the prop do for you?

We have been together for 9yrs so it's gonna take more than a rock to break us up. lol

The new 14x14 prop gives a better holeshot to get a wakeboarder up out of the water. I lost a few mph on my top end but I never spent time going faster than 30mph anyway.

04OUTBACK
07-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Goose,
Sorry bout the damage.. I know that hurts!
You may want to ask the dealer if you should put some Gelcoat patch in it for the short term... easy fix...

B

moombadaze
07-23-2008, 08:05 AM
get a bandaid on that for short term--if water gets into the matt your going to have issues long term

deafgoose
07-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Ok I will pull it out today and fix this.

What exactly does a gelcoat patch look like? I wanna make sure I buy the right stuff.

qb12
07-23-2008, 11:28 AM
go to spectrumcolor.com and they will have the exact gel coat kit in the right color.

very easy repair on your own.

04OUTBACK
07-23-2008, 01:09 PM
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&keyword=fiberglass+repair&Ntt=fiberglass+repair&N=377+710&storeId=10001&Ntk=Primary+Search&ddkey=SiteSearch

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/66054/377%20710/0/fiberglass%20repair/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=fiberglass%20repair&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=fiberglass%20repair&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=11&subdeptNum=4&classNum=0

Here are a couple of options... You may need a fiberglass patch kit for that chunk..
If you are gonna get fixed professionally later, it may not be as important to match the gelcoat.. I'd suggest asking the dealer what he thinks a bout patching it for now until it is fixed later..

BW

Mrs. Kane
07-24-2008, 05:50 PM
deafgoose,

On behalf of all of us ladies out here. Please read aloud raising your right hand. "I, Deafgoose, do solemnly swear not to bring up the hitting of the rock mishap after the repairs are completed to anyone especially my girlfriend. I further am grateful that said girlfriend was doing a good deed by driving the boat for me."

I wish someone would have done this for me when I hit a log about 5 years ago. : ) I am sorry, but logs are not supose to be floating in rivers!

Mrs. Kane
07-24-2008, 07:38 PM
EdG,
I am probably not the right one to ask that question. I am an old fashioned girl. I hope that others would think I was a lady. Althought that doesn't mean I can't have a good time or anything. I don't have a problem being called lady or woman. There are some names that I can think of that would offend me, but I really don't think any of you gentleman would call any of us ladies those names. And if you do we would probably was your mouths out with soap in Tampa. HA! Anyway, it basically takes a lot to offend me. I don't get offend by names that actually refer to me like lady, mom, Kaneboats' wife, realtor, dutch, irish, stuborn, OCD, crabby when I am hungry, etc. Maybe we should ask some of the other "ladies" on board. : )

Have a great day!

Mrs. Kane

deafgoose
07-24-2008, 08:39 PM
HAHAHA! That's hillarious.

It was a crappy mistake but there is nothing she could have done to avoid it because the rock was under the water and we were going 20mph. It will most definitely happen again because it's impossible to avoid. Lots of things change when the water level starts dropping.

I was just happy to get a better prop so it's all good.

kaneboats
07-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Anybody in Illinois ever run in the Kankakee River? I got blamed my whole life for hitting rocks. As though it were my fault. My Uncle had an I/O with a big Buick engine that drafted about 4 feet. The river was only 4 feet deep and full of rocks. Of course we hit stuff. No matter-- MY FAULT!!!