PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying an 2002 Mobius LSV

RobertJ
07-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Hello, I live in Salem, Oregon and I am thinking of making the switch from stern drive to v-drive. My wife realy wants to surf. we currently wakeskate, wakeboard, kneeboard, tube, and BBQ, with our 20.5 foot stern drive. I have been looking a v-drives for awhile but the price has been the biggest factor. I have a couple of questions about the older LSV's. I have three children 5-12 years of age and I mostly go out on lakes. My concern with the older LSV's is the shallow freeboard. How well does this boat handle rough lake conditions? I am also looking at a carborated motor verses EFI. Our currrent boat is a carborated boat.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. this is my first time posting a thread, I am goofy 40 year old.

04OUTBACK
07-22-2008, 05:46 PM
As far as Carb vs EFI, I had 04 Outback with Carb and had no probs with. Cranked easily, etc. Maintenance on Carb is EASY.. those engines are JUST like the old 350's we grew up with.. not too much electronics in them... Plenty of folks on here have carb Moombas.
I know that the older LSV Hull is the new Outback V and many on here have them and love them.. There is a little more freeboard in the new lsv;s (06 newer).. The LSV has more freeboard than my Outback did.. you should be fine..

Good luck .. hope you get what you want

RobertJ
07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I am planning to demo the boat this weekend but it will be on a river.

moombadaze
07-23-2008, 08:07 AM
that is a very good hull, you can do everthing with that boat.--and it looks great on the water

JesseC
07-23-2008, 09:25 PM
I have that exact boat and I love it!!! It was my first direct drive coming from a 24 foot Formula. We wakeboard, wakesurf, wakeskate and ski with this boat. I absolutely love it. For skiing it has a farely noticeable bump in the wake, but I will never be good enough to really have an issue with it. I still have a really good time.

Go to the Wakesurfing forum and look at my post entitled "My first free ride". This is taken behind my 02 LSV with only 400lbs in the left rear and the stock front locker filled. I will post a new video after this weekend with my 800lbs on the left side. If the boat is in good condition, get it and you will love it. Rough water is like riding in a bass boat, it is a little rough, but bareable. When the chop gets to high, I go grill burgers!!

Eric Z
07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
I am also from Salem, I have an 06' Mobius LSV and love it. I had a direct drive ski boat prior to this boat. More freeboard is better. The old boat would freak my wife out when it was weighted down. I am more than happy with the Moomba. I am not sure what your price range is but now is the time to buy a boat, buyers market. If you would like to take a look at the newer LSV freeboard to gage the difference e-mail me direct. [email protected].

RobertJ
07-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for your input. I am going to be the proud owner of my first Moomba, 2002 LSV. I will always have a little concern about the lower freeboard but I have good kids, youngest is 5, and good boat policies that include no man beverages, so we should be okay. The guys at Active Water Sports in Oregon City have been great along with the people I have spoken to at Moomba.

I hope my next post is not on the submarining thread.

04OUTBACK
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Robert,
The submarining issue is more of an issue with an Outback Direct Drive than with the LSV like yours. Biggest recommendation from me.. If your skier/boarder falls, pull into neutral and let the boat come to a near stop (you can turn the wheel a little whle it's slowing) once the water has settled down, then you can slowly accelerate to the downed rider..
If you are approaching a roller, accelerate into it and you'll keep the nose up!
Congrats and welcome to the family!