PDA

View Full Version : Easy Winterization - will this work?

rickmcd59
10-22-2003, 07:14 PM
During the summer I purchased a Moomba Kamberra. I live in Houston where we have 2 to 5 mild freezes per year - maybe down to 20 degrees or so for overnite hours, it usually warms up to over 32 degrees during the daytime. Another boat owner mentioned to me that he knows of some inboard boat owners who place one to two 100 watt light bulbs in the engine compartment of their boats and then place a canvass cover over the boat. The light bulbs are then turned on during periods of freezing weather and the result is a "toasty - warm" engine and transmission, etc. The bulbs are placed in the engine compartment where they are suspended freely in the open air (not touching anything). This sounds too good to be true.

Is it? Any comments would be appreciated.

Catdog1
10-22-2003, 08:18 PM
It works for pipes in a crawl space.

Would also likely work in your boat.

But for a boat, the risk is detonation from petrol fumes. Under no circumstances is it worth the risk. None. Ever.

Instead, drain the lines and refill with antifreeze/water mixture.

Cryonchick
10-23-2003, 02:32 PM
I second that notion !!

It just is not worth the risk of the lamp and the possibilty of fumes being ignited. Spend the little bit of extra money and feel comfortable knowing YOU and your BOAT are safe.