PDA

View Full Version : towing cover

rvette
07-22-2008, 09:24 AM
What kind of towing cover is everyone using on their Moomba?
I've been caught in the rain traveling 2x now and am considering purchasing a road worthing cover.
Please let me know waht you are using and where you got it.
Thanks

brownski
07-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I had one custom mad in sacramento and it ran about 20$ a foot so it came to about $420. I could choose my colors and it had one rope with a ratcheting fastener to secure under the ski platform. The guy even mad it to go around my tower attachments so I don't have to mess with anything. It is easy to put on and no one has to crawl under the boat to grab ropes or straps to buckle. It tows on well and has lasted for 7 years with a couple of stitch repairs occassionally. It is worth it to have one custom made, the universals suck.

Sled491
07-22-2008, 10:52 PM
I agree with brownski, have a custom one made, you'll be surprised how the price compares with the universal ones

slacker
07-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Completely agree - universals are a tad useless.

However, not sure if its possible for you to get one straight from moomba (or great lakes covers...). We ordered a factory mooring cover w/ our 07LSV and it is hands down the best mooring cover we have ever owned. It does go around the tower, and does include a ratcheting device at the back to tighten all the lines.

It also came with six 3/4" straps that attach the cover to the trailer bars so the cover doesn't come loose while driving (2 front, 2 mid, 2 back). Also has the moomba logo on the windshield, comes w/ 3 poles (w/ snap attachment so they don't go anywhere)...

very impressive cover all in all, and out of all the ones i've had custom made, this one takes the cake!

http://www.greatlakesboattop.com/

deafgoose
07-23-2008, 09:21 AM
I really wish I got the moomba mooring cover. My cockpit/tonneau cover still lets water in when it rains.

slacker
07-24-2008, 06:54 AM
deafgoose,

hear you :). on our 2000 outback LS, we originally just had the bow / tonneau covers - they worked well, but when we got a tower installed (and bimini) decided to pick up the mooring cover. does a far better job at keeping the rain out and the inside in great shape.

the only thing i'm still grappling with right now is how to protect the mooring cover from our whips. Right now, the whipline rubs against the bow & rear portion of the cover... need to find a way around this quickly before it rips a hole :-p

slacker
08-12-2008, 06:13 AM
So i've solved the "protecting of the mooring cover from the whips"!

Was looking at a pool noodle the other day and noticed it had a hole down the centre, and was round so it would "roll" rather than "rub" against the mooring cover! Seems to have solved the problem!

2000OUTBACK
08-13-2008, 12:20 AM
are ya'll refering to the bow / tonneau covers are the snap in ones?

deafgoose
08-13-2008, 12:43 AM
are ya'll refering to the bow / tonneau covers are the snap in ones?

You got it!

2000OUTBACK
08-13-2008, 08:56 AM
You got it!

Well that just sucks!!!!! I really wanted to et one of those covers!! I just thought they looked cool and figured they would work-