PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Mussles.. Muzzles.... ya you get what I mean

gcombe74
07-18-2008, 06:42 PM
TAzz.... your in the Las Vegas Area.. what is the status of them down there? they have everyone up here (UTAH) in a panic..... I had to get a form on my truck that made me swear cross my heart and hope to die that I had not been down your way near Lake Powell or Lake Mead? Or they where not going to let me put my boat in and give me a ticket?

Anyone else have to deal with these? I guess we have it pretty good here... no garr fish.. or gators lol... the only thing that bites are the skiters...

yearround
07-18-2008, 06:53 PM
hey GC,
i was at powell last week. they let me in fine. i am in Denver. zebras have recently been found in Pueblo reservoir, but no others around here. when we go to the lake, they do a quick check to see if you are dry, then go ride.

i have heard there are some places that will inspect your boat before you get on the water, and then tag your bow eye when you leave. you can get right in next time if the tag is not removed, big inspection again otherwise.

i will be going to bear lake in a couple of weeks and probably hit a few other utah places. what are they really doing to get on the waters around there?

GeauxTigers
07-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Nothing yearround.... same thing... sign a form swearing you are not illegally transporting mussels. I am in Strawberry next weekend from the 24th til Sunday.... any chance of crossing paths?

Sled491
07-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Zebra mussels are the best thing that ever happended to my lake! Water is as clear as the Ocean, no fishermen (no more fish, JK). We ahve had them here in WI for decades. I have to admit that it has made the water on my lake the clearest in the area, I absolutely love our lake becasue of that, we also my a sandy Marle bottom. And based om my dives every saturday afternoon there appears to be o problem with the fish population anymore. But you are right the DNR have a tizzy when they hear Zebra Mussels and Chronic Wasting Disease.

dtlaine
07-20-2008, 10:14 AM
My parents live on a lake between Milwaukee and Sheboygan, and there are Zebra Mussels in their lake. Their area is sandy, so it's not a big deal to them, but the people that have rocks along their shore have it rough. We don't have them in FL that I know of, but we have worse things living in our lakes.

Zebra mussels are the best thing that ever happended to my lake! Water is as clear as the Ocean, no fishermen (no more fish, JK). We ahve had them here in WI for decades. I have to admit that it has made the water on my lake the clearest in the area, I absolutely love our lake becasue of that, we also my a sandy Marle bottom. And based om my dives every saturday afternoon there appears to be o problem with the fish population anymore. But you are right the DNR have a tizzy when they hear Zebra Mussels and Chronic Wasting Disease.

Sled491
07-20-2008, 11:20 AM
DT what lake are they on? If you ever come up for a family visit ,make sure you PM me so we can get you out on a Wisconsin lake behind a Moomba

dtlaine
07-20-2008, 11:44 AM
They're on a small lake called Lake Ellen. One of their neighbors has an older DD Malibu, but that's it for tournament boats. Lots of pontoons and runabouts. It wasn't all that rare for me to be out there alone on a weekend when I was in college. There are only 3 parking spots @ the boat launch, and they were usually filled w/ fishing boat trailers by 7 AM. Perfect!

Thanks for the offer. I'd love to go for a pull in WI. I've never heard of Summit. I see on Google Maps that it's in the Waukesha area. That's beautiful lake country out there. My mom wants to move there because she hates being so far from downtown MKE, but my dad likes it. I guess we'll see.

Sled491
07-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Just let us know, your always welcome.

yearround
07-20-2008, 11:18 PM
... 24th til Sunday.... any chance of crossing paths?

GT, we will be in bear lake from 8/3-8/6 then other lakes down south until 8/9ish, my parents are near holiday, so likely hit jordanelle, rockport, maybe even utah lake to ski the scum, i haven't been down there for close to 15 years

we should be able to make paths cross go for a ride. don't see too many other moomba's around here.