PDA

View Full Version : Dings on my Prop?

kdill
07-17-2008, 03:56 PM
How bad does you prop need to before you need to fix? Cand you hammer out the small dings?

zabooda
07-17-2008, 04:15 PM
kdill you scare me man. I think I've seen you on the KTM motorcycle website. A lot of masked people over there. Functionally, the shake and vibration will get you to get the prop fixed. Cosmetically, when someone at the boat launch asks "What blade prop is that?"

04OUTBACK
07-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Inboards are sensitive to minor dings in the prop..
I could not see the ding in mine but could feel it..
Get it fixed sooner than later.. I too pondered the hammer.. the problem is.. if it is not perfect, it will still vibrate.. close does not count in props..
Sorry..

Sled491
07-17-2008, 11:12 PM
I hit a log that I didn't see last summer. I put my boat on the trailer, and looked and looked, and felt all the blades and found nothing, but obvioulsy the ding was there. My dealer did a reconditioned swap out for 120 bucks, was well worth the money. I highly doubt you could balance a prop by your self to any kind of level without somekind of special equipment.

FoilTechHydrofoiler
07-17-2008, 11:37 PM
JT at Nettles props In Austin TX. They can fix or replace if you are looking sorry I don't have the # withme right now.

james yarosz
07-18-2008, 11:05 AM
I've had props that looked perfect but vibrated.I took the prop off and layed it on a flat table,and with a tape maesure measurad up to the edge of each blade.One was a 1/2 inch off.

BensonWdby
07-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Props seem to be a strange lot. My boat is not vibratin at all, but just the other day I happened to go by the prop on the lift and noticed some very disturbing dings and distoritions. Since I am not feeling anything while driving I am prone to leave it alone. Don't really want to pull it out of the water to swap props and reluctant to change over water....

trex
07-19-2008, 10:28 AM
I was told a ding in your prop the size of a dime lowers your fuel economy by 30%...and right now 30% can be quite expensive