PDA

View Full Version : My first free ride!!!!

JesseC
07-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Well, after a little practice I was finally able to free ride on the ocean board behind the LSV. We had 400 lbs in the rear, wakeplate at 10% and 450 lbs in the front locker. There were two people in the boat running 9.8 mph. I have ordered the parts to move my other 400 lbs bag to the same side and the Alias is on the way.

Please igonre the graceful "dismount" I was having so much fun, I could not figure out how to stop!!! Also I had just injured my back really bad and I was surfing through the pain.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/th_MOV04076.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/?action=view&current=MOV04076.flv)

Sled491
07-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Jesse, great looking ride, I'm so jealous. The only difference I see between your regular surf board and a wake surf board is that it seems to move around alot while your body seemed to be quite still.

But really what do I know, I still can't get slack line!

deafgoose
07-17-2008, 12:11 AM
But really what do I know, I still can't get slack line!

Try leaning over your front foot so that you put more weight on the front of the board. You will instantly get slack in the line.

Sled491
07-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Deaf, I put so much weight on the front of the board the tip slipped under the water. I got lucky and saw it and leaned back right away so that I didn't crash

deafgoose
07-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Deaf, I put so much weight on the front of the board the tip slipped under the water. I got lucky and saw it and leaned back right away so that I didn't crash

If the tip goes under that is too much weight foreword. It's amazing how little changes in your stance go a long way.

If you can't get slack no matter what then something is not right. What board are you using and how much weight do you have in the boat?

jmvotto
07-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Jesse, great video, Let me know how the Alias works. I called my local guy and the 5"0 one was sold the day I got my answers on the BB. They have the smaller one but i need the bigger board. I am trying to find another shop to pick one up for this weekend. We have a boat full of guys for sat. My buddy's 24v ft tige 8-10 beefcakes, no ballast required. huge wake. lots of beer.

ps why are your shorts not wet in the video???? are you taking Ed's advice on starts??

JesseC
07-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Jesse, great looking ride, I'm so jealous. The only difference I see between your regular surf board and a wake surf board is that it seems to move around alot while your body seemed to be quite still.

It was not the board that was causing the wiggle. I compressed my back earlier wakeboarding and could barely carry the surfboard down the dock. The chop would cause the board to wiggle and I would grab my legs to try and keep the pain down. It sure was a lot of fun!!!!

ps why are your shorts not wet in the video???? are you taking Ed's advice on starts??

They are magic shorts from Old Navy! I started floating in the water with my feet on the board as Ed suggested, not sure why the shorts don't look wet....

Jesse, nice ride! What size and Make is the surf board?

I emailed my brother-in-law as this is his board that we take to the beach to see what it is. I know that it is a custom of some sort, but not sure who made it. I am pretty sure that he brought it from Hawaii.

JesseC
07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Oh, to stop - just peel off - up and behind the wave and sink in.

Yeah, my method was not that graceful, I did not want the board to hit the boat since it is not mine. My original thought was to lay down and hold the board and just slide off. but once I knelt down my back started to hurt and I just decided to hold on and see what heppened...made for a funny ending though.

I also had to go find an old vest that I did not care about. The board was covered in wax and I did not want to get it on one of my neoprene vests.

jmvotto
07-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Ed, yes i know that is how you recomend people to start in the water , i was just harrassing Jesse on how he kept his shorts dry.....

Sled491
07-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Deaf, that is of course the problem, I'm not running any ballast. I have Walker Project G3 - X5 so it is a 5 ft board. I thought that by using a longer board I could at least get a ride no tricks behind my boat with a surf board. I was wrong. Will be adding a 750 to the rear very soon.

04OUTBACK
07-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Pretty cool...
I have yet to pull off more than a 10 second free ride.. i can go longer with the crutch of holding the rope.. NEED more time on the water though!

kaneboats
07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
"Pat, don't forget to bring my board to Tampa - I'm bartering here!"

Board? What board? Just kidding! I hope to get out and use it before then. Dang brother has been out of town every weekend.

Sled491
07-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Ed, hmmm. What am I missing then. There was no way that line was going slack. And I moved my feet all around. Walked up and down the rope, pushed the board forward by flexing my front knee, I mean I tried everything. I feel very comforatable on the board, and can do little turns and come up on the surf and cut back, stuff like that. I've been skiing my whole life, both downhill and water. I know how to move and role my ankles and knees to get desired results, I know how to role my foot and flatten the arch to change pressure, but heck I can't get no (I did hava an explitive here but decided to delete it) slack line.

Sled491
07-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Yeah Ed I guess your right. I keep looking for some crossover, and it looks like there is none. I am of course determined to get to the end result, slack line and real surf time. When I get off the plane again tomorrow night and head straight to the lake for my friday night ski I will of course be trying again, and will continue until I can come back with some positive results.

Will try to remeber my camera so that I can post some footage for your expert evaluation

deerfield
07-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Jesse - I ran your video while Mrs. D just happened to be within earshot of the audio. Got her attention. She looked up from her book to watch and was curious how you could surf behind a boat without a tow line. I've been talkin' about this real low key. Anyway, think this helped move the concept of buying a surf board forward. Thanks, man! - Deerfield

JesseC
07-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Jesse - I ran your video while Mrs. D just happened to be within earshot of the audio. Got her attention. She looked up from her book to watch and was curious how you could surf behind a boat without a tow line. I've been talkin' about this real low key. Anyway, think this helped move the concept of buying a surf board forward. Thanks, man! - Deerfield

Yeah!!! Glad to be of help, sorry that she had to see such sloppy surfing though. Hopefully you brought up some youtube videos of people that knew what they are doing. I hope to test out my extra 400 lbs of weight this weekend. Looks like my alias board will not be in until next week, so we will be on the ocean board again.

Sled491
07-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Ed, I just using the same foot forward that I ski. It seems to feel natural, and when I up it feels good and I have decent board control? It took me a few times to get up my 1st time on a wakeboard but after that I could get up regularly.

Sled491
07-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Ed congrats on the 2000 posts. Keep your list coming, and I 'll keep checking things off. Wanted to try again tonight, but after my ski and the boys ski, it was dinner time and then slow no wake snook up on us. Will go out 1st am to get a few rounds in.

04OUTBACK
07-29-2008, 12:03 AM
I got my first free ride in this weekend.. thanks to some better waves!
Had a blast!
Sorry...it's a little long.. I did not cut out the rope riding leading up to the free ride..
Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/v/JGLfHUpcqHU

JesseC
07-29-2008, 11:53 PM
I think the ending of your video beats mine. I was laughing like crazy!!!