PDA

View Full Version : help!

chutch
07-15-2008, 03:17 PM
I was replacing the gasket that the rubber impellar goes into. When I went to tighten the bolts back down one of the heads snapped off. If I get this screw out I can replace it with an allen wrench head type of screw? Does anyone know why they use the soft bronze screws in that application? If I can replace it with a harder screw I am going to replace all four of them. Does anyone know if this is going to cause me a problem?

newty
07-15-2008, 04:25 PM
chutch,
I would replace it with bronze. The reason is people tend to over-tighten the bolts and the bronze bolt is much easier to replace than the impeller housing if you strip it with a harder screw. If you broke the head off then you were tightening it then you were using waaaaay to much torq and you would have stripped the housing with a harder bolt. Those bolts only need to be a tad more than hand tight. Remember there is less than 20 psi in that system so they don't need to be that tight.
I know thats not what you want to hear but I don't want to see you have to spend time and money repairing the problem over and over.
I'll bet your manual has torq specs for that application.
GL,
Newty

kaneboats
07-15-2008, 04:41 PM
I concur with Newty. Excellent advice.

chutch
07-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah. After I started thinking about it I figured that is why. Does anyone know where to get these at? I have tried Lowes and a couple of other hardware stores but cant seem to find a bronze. For now I am going to replace the one that I snapped with a harder screw and not tighten it to much. I would like to get the bronze though if I can find them.

Thanks for the advice.

Sled491
07-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Try Overtons, or a specialty hardware store. Of course there is always your dealer.

Buttafewcoe
07-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Autozone or Advance or any of them types.

SC07LS
07-17-2008, 07:39 AM
If you can't find anything from those stories go online to one of the big industrial supply companies, like McMaster-Carr, Grainger, or MSC. I use them for work all the time and also used them for home projects as well. A credit card is all you need.