PDA

View Full Version : high pitch whine in speakers

kipp
07-15-2008, 10:22 AM
High pitch whining noise in speakers, I've seperated power wires from rca wires and there was no change. After further trooubleshooting, I've noticed that when you turn the key to the on position the fuel pump primes for about 5 seconds during this time the high pitch whine goes through the speakers whether the stereo is on or off, the whine goes away as soon as the fuel pump is done. If you start the engine the whine is present, only thing that helps is if you turn the navigation lights on. Anyone have an idea on how to get rid of this problem.
kipp

gcombe74
07-15-2008, 11:40 AM
noise suppressor... sits inline with your rc's you can get one at any car audio shop... will take that out. ITs usually a ground issue that causes this though. most of time when you have an amp that is not grounded or a weak ground.

kipp
07-15-2008, 11:47 AM
I'll get one thanks for the help.

tazz3069
07-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Kipp--
I would check your ground first. If I were you, wire the ground directly to the negative side of thebattery. Use #8 ground wire. You can get it at any local stereo shop.

kipp
07-15-2008, 10:22 PM
I have a 2008 ls with dual batteries, both amps are directly grounded but the receiver isn't. Do you think grounding the receiver direct will help.
kipp

jester
07-15-2008, 10:40 PM
I had the same issue when the key was turned to on but i did not have to have the engin running. The solution was to replace the amp. I now have it again when the engine is running not like last time when you turn the key to on. Can you let me know what the problem is when you find out.

07-15-2008, 11:01 PM
I have the EXACT same problem on my 08 XLV. Today I added in some of those LED lights that one of the other board members installed and now it's even worse. I am thinking that maybe the deck needs a noise filter. The lights do look good though.

A question I have is do all the boats have this noise and they just let them leave from the factory or is it just certain boats? Do people without a good ear for sound (or knowledge of car audio) even notice it? I can't imagine they sell a 40 or 50k boat knowing that the stereo has a whine.....

tazz3069
07-15-2008, 11:28 PM
It has alot to do with how the system is setup. Thinks to look for in a good set up.
1. All amp wires go directly to amp.
2. Power wire is fused.
3. Good RCA cables.
4. Good speaker wire.

Things to check
1. Look under the dashboard. See the wire block that all the positive and negative wires go to. Make sure that all the screws and nuts are nice and tight.
2. Make sure that the power cables and not running close together with the RCA's and the Speaker wires.
3. Make sure all your speaker wire connections are good and tight.

Mine had a little winning noise in it. I did the check and the problem was fixed.

07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
I also have the dual battery option, perhaps this has something to do with it. I will double check all of the connetions but the power wires for the amp runs together with the RCA's from the factory. I mean the wires only run a few feet so it shouldn't be a big deal, plus they come this way from the factory. I know that I do have one light now near the deck and when I unplug that light the noise goes away a little bit, but is still present. I know that in my cars, I had lights near the deck and even ran them off the remote turn on with no issues.

It seems like a BRAND new boat should have these issues worked out at the factory before being delivered to a customer.

kipp
07-16-2008, 08:01 PM
My boat is equipped with the 4 tower speakers so I have 2 amps. I've noticed when the ballast pump was running today that the back ground noise from the pump was only in the right 2 tower speakers. I have separeted the speaker & RCA wires from the power and ground lines. The noise seems to come through the speakers even when the stereo is off. The amps both run through the the same battery but I can't tell where the power is coming from for the receiver.
kipp

tazz3069
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
How many batteries do you have?

kipp
07-16-2008, 10:28 PM
I have 2 batteries, 2008 ls

tazz3069
07-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Are the amps and only the amps wired to the second batery?

07-17-2008, 02:13 AM
I picked up an set of RCA's with a noise filter (Ground Loop isoltaor) for $19.99 at The Source today. Cleared up the alternator whine and the noise from the leds. Very simple fix. Easy to install too.

kipp
07-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Other accessories are also hooked up to the second battery.
Where did you put the ground loops right before each amp?
I'll give those a try. I'm going back home for 2 weeks, I'll pick a couple up
and try them when I come back.
Thanks
kipp

rbc_racing
07-17-2008, 02:55 PM
When I upgraded the stereo in my boat it had the whine also. I found the ground wire for the headunit ran all the way around the bow and into the distribution center under the drivers compartment. I had a ground distibution block at my amps with an open hole so I ran a new ground from it to the head unit and it cured 99% of the noise. I tried the isolator and it didn't touch it, I've never put it back to see if it would help with that last little bit. Boats are a little more touchy about ground issues than cars because the ground wires have to run so much farther to get to ground, the longer the ground wire=alot more interference in the systems. It's just a fact of life in the boat world, 99% of boats out there will never notice it since they don't really modify the existing system when they get it. All the ski boats I've been on have some stereo whine to one extent or another.

kipp
07-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks RBC.
I just ran a ground from the deck case to the battery and the fuel pump whine was removed. Still have a little alternator noise in the background. It appears that the head unit power is the red yellow & black wires that connect to a wiring harness, should I take my new ground directly to the black wire? If I do should I just splice in or should I disconnect the old ground thus shortening the ground path.
Kipp

rbc_racing
07-17-2008, 11:34 PM
If your going to change it you'll want to take it out of the rest of the circuit completely. if you just splice it in you will still have the rest of the wire getting interference to deal with. But if the noise went away by grounding the case I would let it ride, mine still has the slight alt whine, but you can only hear it while idling in between songs.