PDA

View Full Version : Gas Gage?!?

bambam26
07-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Okay guys and gals, I am at a loss to figure out my gas gage? I run it for 3 hours and it shows a 1/4 of a tank left? Last week I ran it for 4.5 hours and it showed about the same when I filled her up it took 17 gallons?!? Thats half of what it holds. I am doing the math and calculating things out, I don't know yet how much fuel I really used today as I haven't refilled yet but I am curious if this is a commen practice for our beloved Moomba's? By the way 2008 LS variety of fun including tubes for the kids ski for the dad and wakeboarding for the Pain in the a$$es (I mean teenagers!)on the daily trip to the lake.........

04OUTBACK
07-13-2008, 07:38 PM
BAM,
Typical boat gas gauge!! Start writing down how many hours used and gallons put in..
divide gallons by hrs (17 gal / 3 hrs = 5.66 gal/hr) That way you can keep up with an avg of how many gph you use and have a better estimation of I ran 4 hrs so that is 22 gals...etc.
Plus, the flip side is as it gets lower, it will drop to E way before you are empty!

Good luck and enjoy!

zegm
07-13-2008, 07:46 PM
BamBam,

Yeah the LS fuel tank blues!!! Actually thinking you are out when you have a good bit left is OK!! We had the same issue with our LS, showing empty but not taking 30 gallons of fuel, maybe 20 or so. We think we have it figured out now after 30 hours of time on the boat. It seems to be most accurate when you are moving with the wakeplate up!!!! Maybe they set the fuel gauge to work in this attitude but I am serious. It will show us being on empty sitting still in the water but as soon as we start going with the attitude of the boat changed it will start reading correctly, always with more gas than we thought we had.

davidl
07-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey Man, How are ya? We are going to be on lake billy chinook the 20th -25th july. You should come down!....Looks like detroit reuinun fell threw :( Hope your doing well.....David....Call

jester
07-13-2008, 09:27 PM
I was also noticing that that Gas gage on my outback V is not showing right. I ran it down to E on accedent and only put in 28 out of the 40. I guess it is a protection plan so we dont run out on the lake. You should also remeber that pulling tubers takes more gas then wakeboarders or skiers. When i am unluckey enought to be pulling tubers i can see the gas gage jump down.

David,
I was also looking forword to having the reuinun at Dertoit lake. Do you make it out to Detroit often? That is where i have my boat at almost all summer.

jkendall79
07-13-2008, 10:23 PM
My Outback DD has the same problem. I think I have it figured out for my boat; I usually have about a 1/4 of a tank more than what the gas gauge is reading. When my gauge reads empty, it almost always takes 21 gallons to fill it, and I have a 28 gallon tank.

bambam26
07-13-2008, 11:14 PM
!?!? Well it seems as if it is a math problem more or less! I guess not everything can be perfect, but geez it isn't even close to being where it should! Z, I will play with the plate next time and see what that does, I have figured out the speed definately increases with the plate up!!! I am a rookie learning as I go, LOL..... David, I was planning on the detroit thing then it fell through. I kinda lost interest recently with the cost of fuel and the fact I am 3 hours North of Portland. We have a family vacation to Wintrhop Wa in 2 weeks, I am figuring a 100 a day for gas?!?! Oh well it is so worth it. I will give you a buzz this week, how you been?

jester
07-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Bambam,

I just did a week long boating trip. I was only pulling wakeboarders until the last day and only spent about $50 - $75 a day. The differance was i had experanced wakeboarders so i was not killing gas trying to get someone out of the water. Hope this helps.