PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hubs Leaking

cab13367
07-11-2008, 01:48 AM
So two of the four oil bath hubs on my trailer are leaking (as evidenced by the grease all over the outside of the wheel. Where it used to be shiny, it is now gray. How do I go about fixing this?

Thanks,

Al

Mobidick
07-11-2008, 02:27 AM
Cab,

I had the same problem. I took it to my dealer twice and each time they fixed it under warranty. Well guess what? It happened again but this time it was out of warranty. What it appeared to be was the drain/fill plug on the oil bath hubs. I took the wheels off, cleaned everything up, filled the hubs until totally full, then put 4 or 5 wraps of teflon tape on the plugs before installing them again. I have driven probably a total of 200 to 300 miles since I did this and haven't seen any oil on the wheels yet.

Mobi

cab13367
07-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks. I looked through my paperwork and saw the one for the hubs and read through it. Sounds like a fairly easy fix. It also said that the warranty period is two years. Did the dealer honor the two year warranty?

Thanks,

Al

Mobidick
07-12-2008, 04:11 AM
My dealer was Shumate Motorsports. They did honor the two years but have since discontinued selling and servicing boats. By the way, be carefull what you clean your wheels with. I used some kind of easy wheel cleaner (don't remember the brand) that was supposed to be safe for all wheels. I think Boatmate trailer wheels have some kind of clearcoat finish on them because this "stuff" took some if it off and the wheels looked terrible. I ended up polishing them with sos pads and steel wool. They have looked great this year so far so I'm hoping they will stay that way without the clearcoat.