PDA

View Full Version : Outback rear seat problem

cj11302000
07-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2005 Outback and I need a fix for the rear seat where the bottom of the seat rests. For those of you familiar with this...I'm talking about how you can take the bottom back seat and place it on top of the seat back to make a "sundeck" area. After people and kids jumping onto that seat...the wood built into the seat back is sagging down. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it? I'm guessing I would have to take the vinyl off the seat back, replace the wood and have it re-covered? I'm just curious to know if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it. Thanks!!

bamaspiveys
07-10-2008, 11:29 PM
I have a problem with mine sliding off, it is not wide enough, it also leaves marks on the top of the seat.

It is not sagging in the middle yet.

jkendall79
07-11-2008, 12:09 AM
I have a 2007 outback and mine has a metal bar running the length of the seat so I assume it would be impossible for it to sag. It looks like it would be something simple to rig up yourself; I can take a few pictures tomorrow and post them if you want.

Limishowman3
07-11-2008, 12:33 AM
I have an 07 too, and Ive seen my flex a few times when i had some of my fat friends sitting on it. Ya thats one thing I hate about the seat is that it scratches up your vinyl the seat is sitting on. If not centered correctly it falls off too.

cj11302000
07-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks guys...but maybe I wasn't clear. The seat isn't sagging...it's fine. It's the two ends where the seat rests...like it slides off a lot because I can feel the wood on the ends of the other seatback are broken...the main seat itself is fine in the up or down position...does this make sense? When you look at a Moomba Outback back seat in the down position...you see the back rest...and the side rests...it's the side rests that have the broken wood in them...where the main seat rests when it's in the up position.

jkendall79
07-11-2008, 12:59 AM
I see what you mean now cj. I never put my seat up, just for that reason. It just doesn't seem to me that it would be strong enough to have a bunch of people sitting or walking on it.

outback 4
07-11-2008, 10:55 AM
I've got an 06 and i've got the same problem as cj, except only one side is bent from someone standing on it. I actually thought about rigging something up to support it in the middle to keep this from happening but haven't done anything yet. Basically i've just been hounding anyone who gets near it to not stand on it and i also make sure that the seat sits as far to that side as possible to keep it from bending more. I have that seat up 90% of the time because we pretty much wakeboard only and i need the room for my launch pad bags and it hasn't gotten any worse this year so far.

pickle311
07-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I had the same problem with my 05 outback. The inside of the seats are supported out of starboard, or marine deck. Its a thick plastic. Mine broke and caused it to sag and the seat bottom would fall down because of it. I had to take it back to the dealer and they replaced it. It took them about a month to get the new parts from moomba and a day to install it.

cj11302000
07-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Pickle, was your repair covered under warranty or did you have to pay? If yoiu paid...can I ask what they charged you? Also, did they replace the whole back seat or open it up and replace the boards?

pickle311
07-14-2008, 04:27 PM
It was coverd by warranty, they pulled the seat out and replaced the internal parts that broke and put it all back in.