PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Mirror Configuration?

MrsZ
07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I would like to know how most of you have your rear view mirror set up and which mirror you have. Mine drives me crazy! I don’t like it blocking my front view and when I move it not to block, I cant see my skier very well.

I do use a couple of cushions so I can sit up high. I have become used to looking over the windshield from years of not having a very clear windshield. Maybe that is a factor. How high up does everyone here sit?

NCSUmoomba
07-10-2008, 02:15 PM
I prefer to sit down low in the drivers seat and look through the windshield. It is just more comfortable and easier to see the guages. I did move the mirror, though. I bought one of the Monster Tower morror brackets which allowed me to move the mirror up higher to get a better angle viewing the rider. I love it. Most people I know do not use the mirror and/or sit up on top of the seat. I really don't understand this at all. I cannot drive while constantly turning my head to look behind me at the rider.

rvette
07-10-2008, 02:20 PM
MRS Z- do you have a tower on your boat?
I have an outback w/o a tower and I mount my mirror on the top of the windshield. I put it as close as possible to the middle of the boat and have not had an issue seeing the skier unless they really get outside the boat on either side.
The mirror has 2 places to adjust for angle and height so that hasn't been an issue either.

kaneboats
07-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I have a tower but still have the old ski mirror. I sit up one cushion worth and it's OK but I want to add a tower mirror. I don't look where I'm going anyway . . .

deerfield
07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Mrs Z - Have an '07 Outback with factory tower, bracket, and mirror. I do most of the driving. Seat is in full back position. Bolster down. Coast guard required throw cushion flat on seat. Slide my feet through the seatback opening and rest my butt on my feet. Gets my line of sight above the windshield (though to a small degree it is blocked by the mirror) and gives me a view in the mirror of whats happening behind the boat. When needed, I can lift my butt to raise my line of sight by nearly two feet. The higher my line of sight in the late day sun the better. It can be prettty hard to see anything on the water other than the blinding light of the reflected sun. I'm 6'2". My two older sons both are taller than me. One drives normal (no bolster, no throw cushion, and feet under the dash) and the other sits on the bolster. Don't know how much they use the mirror. I preach that when towing they are responsible for what's happening in front while the spotter's are responsible for what happens off the stern of the boat. When my boys drive, I want them focused. Anyway, each of us has a different style. Mrs D likes to watch the action and work the lines, but not drive. - Deerfield

GeauxTigers
07-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Mrs. Z:
I put my mirror on top of the passenger side of the windshield. I do have to crank it all the way to the right to get a straight angle at the skier, but it works! I like to drive with my seat bolster up and I sit on that. This way, I have absolutely no obstructions when looking forward. One slight turn of my head, lets me see my skier/wakeboarder/tuber/kneeboarder. LOL! yes, we do all that in one day!

SoTX
07-10-2008, 03:19 PM
I can not stand the mirror that mounts to the top of the wind shield. I have a tower mirror. It is excellent and I can see through the wind shield and above if need be. I too sit comfortably in the drivers seat. No extra padding just the seat as it was built.

McMoomba
07-10-2008, 04:12 PM
We have a tower mirror but I ended up mounting it higher (almost touching the bimini). When I was sitting on the bolster it was right in the way.

-McM

Waynes345
07-10-2008, 05:06 PM
I've got a '99 OB (no tower) and stay in the seat with my feet under the dash looking through the windshield. Mirror is mounted above windshield on drivers side. Not a problem seeing as long as you stay in the seat. As I'm not running ballast, I can see over the bow all the time from the seat. Even my 5'1" wife stays in the seat, though I don't believe she eevn knows the mirror is there when driving. She is totally focused on not running into the boat a mile away and killing me while I'm skiing! I have to hope my 14 year old son stays focused enough to watch me as the spotter.

kaneboats
07-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I was thinking that too. I can barely sit on my a$$, much less my feet. My younger brother hates the Moomba driver seat b/c he got used to sitting on one knee with a leg forward. You got to be either young or skinny if you can kneel or sit on your feet. What I need is a bar stool at the helm so I feel at home. Put a pair of tappers where the controls are. I won't care if I go anywhere.

aerophoto
07-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I took mine off for the same reason I hated it in that position and I have always driven without one. That is why I have a spotter so I can look out for the Jacka$$6 on the jet skis. The only time I look back is when there is no one else out on the lake.

bamaspiveys
07-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Mrs Z
You can click on my profile and look at my album.

I have the mirror mounted on the tower just below the bimini top. I set mine up based on my eye level when sitting on the bolster. I set it up so that I can see under the mirror looking forward, when I sit in the seat the mirror tilts down so I can still see fine.

The issues I had were:

Getting the height just right so I could see under it from the bolster, and so that the bimini top did not block the view from the top of the mirror.

I have a blind spot when I wear a hat.

I saw a guy this weekend with a mirror on each side of the boat mounted to the tower, I hate to be a copy cat, but I will be adding one to the left side soon. Looked cool and should clear up my blind spot.

Sled491
07-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Hey Mrs Z with a G.

I guess you have the same seat and mirror as me. I like the bolster due to all the water spots I end up with on my windshield, I just prefer the clear view. So I put my mirror in the very center as a ski mirror should be. But you have a tower and I think that one of those moster towers set up just right would be better becasue it should get rid of the line of sight blind spot when turning to port or when watching to the port side for oncoming traffic.

I understand the instinct to use the mirror especially with the kids, your just curious to see how the are doing and progressing so that you can coach when they get back in the boat. And I bet Mr Z is always getting back in asking " So how was I? Did I have any good cuts?"

McMoomba
07-10-2008, 10:44 PM
McMooba: I was thinking of getting one to mount on the tower but it looked like it would be in the way of my forward view all thetime. Your idea may be one answer. I would like to see it. Do you have a pic of where your mirror is mounted?

MRSZ
I do not have a picture available but it is pretty much the same as bamaspiveys'.

McM

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
07-11-2008, 10:14 AM
I too have struggled with the placement of the mirror. With a longer torso I find myself often having my eye directly level with the top of the windshiled the bolster does offer some additional elevation but not enough. So as akward as it sounds I too find myself sitting on my knees. While I would likek to have the mirror directly in the middle, with a walk through to the bow I am not comfortable having the mirror on the center hinged windshild. Ultimately I found the most comfortable location for the mirror is on the passenger side tilted as far to the right as possible. We always have a spotter in the boat too but having a mirror is just added reassurance for the driver.

It is sunny and 90 today in Fargo ND. I need to bust a move and get out of the office ASAP!

VA LSV
07-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Have my tower mirror set so the mirror is a little higher than where the windshield mount mirror was. I too thought about adding a 2nd tower mirrir but instead mount my windshield mirror on the corner of the passenger windshield. Now I can see the kids when they edge outside the wake. I normally don't use the bolster. I prefer to look through the windshield.