PDA

View Full Version : Ethenol in Gas....what's the scoop?

mattsmoomba
07-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Heard a lot of bad stuff about Ethenol and what it can do to boats and small engine equip...what is everyone doing out there with there boats and ethenol content in gas now? How bad is this for boats?

SC07LS
07-10-2008, 07:24 AM
The problem that I heard with ethanol is that it absorbs water. The greater the ethanol % the greater chance of water being absorbed in it. I don't think it is much of a problem when the boat is used regularly. But if it sits for extended periods of time it might cause some problems. I say an article about in a recent boating magazine. I will check to see if I can find it and post some more detailed information.

kaneboats
07-10-2008, 02:28 PM
There was a discussion on this last month you can search for too. I think the 10% or less in the fuel at most stations was considered ok. ? ? ?

jkendall79
07-10-2008, 02:47 PM
I seem to remember reading it's okay if you have a 2005 or newer model, anything older might have problems

maxpower220
07-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Alcohol has a problem of water absorbtion and breaking down rubber seals. E85 engines in cars have all different stainless steel components with different seals, hence they are designed for the gas/alcohol. Water in the gas should not be a problem unless you store your boat for a long time in high humity and without stabil (or similiar) type product.

wolfeman131
07-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Stabil has a new marine formula (it's blue in color) that they claim will help with the ethanol issue.

mattsmoomba
07-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Interesting guys, but it sure worries the hell out of me. Last thing I need to worry about is pumping water through my new boat. I can't believe we're paying $4.31 per gallon for gas here and it's not even REAL gas.

I've talked to a couple old timers who actually put moth balls in their gas tanks. They say it up's their octaine level to 95%...??? what the hell is that all about???

jkendall79
07-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Sounds like a "old wive's tale". I'd be wary of sticking anything in the gas tank that's not supposed to be there.

jkendall79
07-11-2008, 12:18 AM
P.S. Just did some research on the mothballs, they used to do this in World War 2 when octanes were around 60. Moth balls were also made from different chemicals back then. Apparently, what they use to make them now might actually lower the octane, and could cause filters to clog and give you emissions problem. Sounds like a bad idea.

mattsmoomba
07-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Yikes on the mothballs!! forget that