PDA

View Full Version : How in the do you dock a Moomba? =(

Moomba Dad
07-08-2008, 04:06 PM
This is my first inboard and I'm having a hell of a time docking it. When I idle it's going faster than I prefer to when docking...when I let off it turns on it's own. Backing up is even worse...it's like trying to back up a damn aquacycle.

I've had about five inboards and have learned to turn them on a dime and dock with the best of them...but this Mobius is giving me fits!

Does anybody have any pointers? HELP ME!!! =(

tazz3069
07-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I was in the same boat as you. No pun intended. Pratice, practice, practice. I did and a year later I still get nervouse.
Tazz

Dave A
07-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey Dad,

45 degree angle to the dock on driver's side. Idle up, when you get a few feet from the dock put the boat in reverse. Use as needed. You should slow your forward motion and the back end should begin to drift to the right. It should slide in nice and easy.

Dave

tazz3069
07-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Iagree with you Dave. Just did not know to put it in words.
Tazz

jmvotto
07-08-2008, 04:56 PM
use reverse to straighten out boat, find the easiest angle in then i pulse "in gear" "out of gear" repaet as needed. If you over shoot. Go around again try again patience and practice.

deafgoose
07-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I had a few close calls the first few weeks but I am starting to get a feel for it.

The more you do it the more you can predict how it moves.

deeluk
07-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Definitely takes a lot of practice and experience. Like Dave said, I usually go at it at 45-90 deg. When I get around 5 feet away, I cut to the left which puts the driver side towards the dock. Then as I get to within a foot or so the boat should be close to parallel to the dock. Throw it in reverse to slow your forward progress more and suck the back end all the way over to the dock. If you can, have a helper jump off onto the dock to steady the boat. Be very wary of limbs between the boat and dock (saw a nasty hand/arm injury last year). Better to let your boat bounce off the dock than to lose a piece of yourself or someone else. All of this becomes much more difficult as the current or wind pick up, so be prepared.

brownski
07-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Great advice, entering at a 45 and keeping the dock on the drivers side has always worked the best for me. Best bet is to spend a lot of time in the no wake zone practicing. If you spend lots of time bumping the tranny in and out of forward and reverse you should be able to put that thing anywhere you want. By working the rudder in forward and banking on your "always backs to the right" you can go anywhere and even spin 360s if you are careful. Biggest advice is always come in slow.

Moomba Dad
07-08-2008, 08:31 PM
I was hoping that you all wouldn't tell me I need to come in from the starboard side. I dock with the dock on the port side...at least for now. Looks like I might have to switch all of my tie down, hooks and bumpers between the Bennington and the Moomba so that I can have the dock on the starboard side.

Thanks for the info though. It does always rotate counterclockwise when I hit reverse though.

Moomba Dad

deafgoose
07-08-2008, 08:40 PM
I was hoping that you all wouldn't tell me I need to come in from the starboard side. I dock with the dock on the port side...at least for now. Looks like I might have to switch all of my tie down, hooks and bumpers between the Bennington and the Moomba so that I can have the dock on the starboard side.

Thanks for the info though. It does always rotate counterclockwise when I hit reverse though.

Moomba Dad

Really?

Mine goes clockwise in reverse.

Moomba Dad
07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Really?

Mine goes clockwise in reverse.

Really? Why would someone recommend to come in at 45 deg from the starboard side and the hit reverse if it rotated clockwise? You would plow the bow into the dock then wouldn't you?

deafgoose
07-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Really? Why would someone recommend to come in at 45 deg from the starboard side and the hit reverse if it rotated clockwise? You would plow the bow into the dock then wouldn't you?

Yeah.. Not sure why my boat goes clockwise when in reverse.

csmsk
07-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Must be a Canadian thing....

deafgoose
07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Must be a Canadian thing....

HAHA!!!!!

When you drain the water from your bathtub, what direction does the water whirlpool? :lol:

cab13367
07-09-2008, 12:22 AM

Moomba Dad

Moomba Dad,

You are correct, because the boat always backs up to the right (i.e., rotates counterclockwise), it's easier to come in at a 45 degree angle on the starboard (driver's side). To control your approach speed, just put it in and out of gear as needed, like someone else said.

Al

Moomba Dad
07-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks for all of your help everyone!

You gotta love this board! :)

kaneboats
07-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Somebody needs to turn their head around.