PDA

View Full Version : Looking at this boat..........

jixxxer
07-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Its a 99 outback. Directdrive, decent shape, huge sound system. Heres the problem. The guages dont work and he says its the "mdc" a guage modulater that cost $400 to replace. Is anyone fimilar with this???He's asking $15000.

maxpower220
07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Keep looking. In the $15K range you can find a lot of different and maybe better boats in that year model range. If you ski, I know you can find 98-2000 model Malibu, CC 196, and maybe MC in that price. If you wakeboard, then you can find a V-drive in the 96-99 model. Keep looking.

Sorry, don't know much about the guages, but if I were trying to sell something and it is simple to fix, I would do that before listing it.

SC07LS
07-08-2008, 11:00 AM
I would keep looking as well. Did the hour meter guage stop working too? That would be an area of concern. With the gas prices as they are, I'm sure many people will be looking to sell their boat. As sad as that is. But I agree with Max keep looking.

GeauxTigers
07-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Ed:
<Just a little ribbing directed your way here>
Rust??? Do you think people in cold places run up and down the road in the salty, grimy roads just for the fun of it? When it gets cold, we put them away. I would think the risk of running into a boat full of rust would be greater where you live because someone might be tempted to go in salt water without taking the precautions to properly flush all the systems. Not much salt where I live. Nobody in their right mind would put a boat in the Great Salt Lake!

:)

jixxxer
07-08-2008, 11:28 AM
thanks guys, I was just told by another moomba owner that lives nearby to pass on the boat as well. I was just to happy to get an inboard, and here in La. its hard to find one at that price. Whats your opinion on a closed bow like a prostar 190 or something?

jixxxer
07-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Lafayette, La.

SC07LS
07-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Pittsburgh? I grew up in Hershey, PA now live in SC. I remember those days with salt and cinders. Quarter panels never seemed to last very long.

Jixxxer it depends on what you want to do with the boat. We bought a LS because it was a little cheaper than a LSV. But with the redesigned hull it seemed to produce a nice wake. Bigger than the I/O's I ridden behind in the past. It just depends on what you want to use the boat for. A lot of ski boats are closed bow and they do not produce much wake. Not to say that you can't make it produce a good wake with external ballast.

SC07LS
07-08-2008, 12:03 PM
That is hard to believe. It seems that during the summer the whole state was there.

My wife wants to move back up there again. I sure hate to leave the lake down here. Lake Murray is about 50,000 acres. That is big for someone used to rivers in central PA. The best part only a 10 minute drive. Don't have enough greenbacks to live right on the lake.

McMoomba
07-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey Jixxxer, Are ya thinkin of movin out of the 175xt? I was smcd175 on the BOC. I got an 08 Outback V and love it, You won't be sorry if you get a Moomba. There is a wealth of knowlege here to tap into & help you choose a great boat. Look forward to seeing you on the Moomba board.

McMoomba

GeauxTigers
07-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Ed:
I thought I was going to lose mine at Flaming Gorge on 4th of July last week! We were right by the dam, about 30 miles from our camp when the temp just dropped like a rock and a very nasty storm blew in. I am talking 4-5 ft swells with white caps, winds gusting up to about 50 mph and hail! It probably got down in the 40's from 85 earlier. I was able to find a cove under a bridge that we sat underneath for about 90 minutes shivering to death! After that, it cleared up and we had a great day! Scary though.

SEARK
07-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Lafayette, La.

I was down there this past weekend. Where do yall ride. Vermillion River? Vermillion Bay? My wife and I were wondering where people went. She grew up south of you just a bit and learned to kneeboard in canals.

GeauxTigers
07-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I was down there this past weekend. Where do yall ride. Vermillion River? Vermillion Bay? My wife and I were wondering where people went. She grew up south of you just a bit and learned to kneeboard in canals.

LOL! I lived in Louisiana for about 10 years (B.R. for 5 and N. O. for 5). I learned to waterski on the Pearl behind a flat boat with a 50 hp Evinrude! Those were the days!

SEARK
07-08-2008, 12:53 PM
LOL! I lived in Louisiana for about 10 years (B.R. for 5 and N. O. for 5). I learned to waterski on the Pearl behind a flat boat with a 50 hp Evinrude! Those were the days!

I think that is about what she learned behind too.

zegm
07-08-2008, 01:39 PM
OK I thought Ed said Florida boat no rust because we do have salt here. More than any Yankee state can image!!!! You can take a bucket and get it from the Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico. When I sold the MasterCraft this past spring I had to make sure I said "Never been in SALT water" because.........................I live in Florida!!!

04OUTBACK
07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Jixxer,
Look at onlyinboards.com; ebay.com; boattrader.com; wakeworld.com classifieds as well.
Be willing to drive a little and you'll find what you want.
I drove to 8 hrs to get my first boat and met a guy 5 hrs away to get 2nd.

There are tons for sale now.. Check with Midway Marine in Shreveport, Gus Campbell in Monroe.. they may have some trades they want to move.

also, look on www.dallasboats4sale.com There are options in this economy!
Closed bow boats are fine, but you'll probably wish you had the seating up front at some point if you carry more than 3 people.

Good luck..

K_E_N
07-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Shannon, I sent Ben Lee (Midway Marine, Shreveport) an email regarding used boats. I haven't heard back from him yet, but will let you know when I do. I should be talking with either Gus or Lee from Gus Campbell Watersports today or tomorrow about an unrelated topic (MLR) and will see if they have anything you may be interested in. I'm also keeping my eye open in the Monroe area for anything that comes along.

zabooda
07-08-2008, 04:49 PM
A Prostar 190 is a very good ski boat but limited seating. I enjoy the wake that it puts out but even with three people it becomes a juggling act to get around. I priced the 1999 Outback and guessed on some options and got around $18K for resale but I'm sure it varies in different parts of the country but boats sell here for top dollar. No rust here either since we have no moisture except the lakes and rivers. We won't see rain again until mid-September or October.

jixxxer
07-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Well does anyone here actually own a 99 outback? just curious, what about them are "bad", isnt a motor a motor shouldnt have anythig to do with the boat makers should it?? I do trust yall opinions just finally found something close by that looked nice.
Ken, the outback I "was" looking at was in jonesboro, isnt that in your neck of the woods?

zabooda
07-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I have a 98 which is basically the same thing. The way I feel is the person needs to correct the problem or greatly discount the boat and the buyer assumes the risk. I would say the electronic box could be the problem as I've seen other posts on the issue. Those are deals I try to find. Offer a price that you can get a steal and convince them that you would have to go through all the wiring in the boat to find out what caused the module failure if that is what had failed and you are basically buying a broken boat.

mattsmoomba
07-08-2008, 10:53 PM
I am selling my 00' Outback see classifieds. Mint boat

jixxxer
07-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Nice boat, a little to far to drive and your asking $18,000. The one im looking at is one year older and is asking but willing to work on price of $15000 and now he is fixing the guages. Im just looking for feedback from owners of 1999-2000 outbacks; anyone?
Theres bound to be someone on here willing to help out.

kaneboats
07-09-2008, 08:58 AM
I have a 2000 Outback LS with over 400 hours. No complaints. Make him fix the gauges. If you like the boat, make him an offer for what you'd like to pay. If he doesn't accept, fine. Keep on looking. Don't be afraid to drive to get your boat. My first boat I drove from IL to KY to get. My last boat I drove from FL to NC to get. This one I only drove about 5-6 hours. If you think about how long you are going to keep it, it's worth a little drive and a little fuel to get a good one.

My cousin recently bought an old mastercraft prostar. She already wants a different boat with an open bow. With 3 people it's crowded. Unless you only do tournament style skiing, I'd recommend you opt for an open bow model.

Either way, it's a buyer's market right now. Figure out what you'd like to pay, then knock off a dollar amount for each thing that has to be fixed or replaced. Look carefully at the interior in a '99. I replaced most of mine this year. It can be expensive. Make sure you water-test any boat. Inspect the trailer too. It can cost $1000 to $3400 to get a trailer and they are hard to find in many areas of the country. I had to replace mine and it was a HUGE hassle to find one and bring it home. Good luck!

YellowMoomba0
07-09-2008, 09:17 AM
That is hard to believe. It seems that during the summer the whole state was there.

My wife wants to move back up there again. I sure hate to leave the lake down here. Lake Murray is about 50,000 acres. That is big for someone used to rivers in central PA. The best part only a 10 minute drive. Don't have enough greenbacks to live right on the lake.

Whats Up Drew, I live in Chapin and ski in Bear Creek, Yellow and Black Moomba Outback. Where on Lake Murray do you ride?

jixxxer
07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
thanks "kaneboats" thats the kind of reply i was looking for. Im gonna give him a few days to fix the guages talk to him again.

SC07LS
07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey Yellow,

We typically put in at Larry Koon on Shull Island. We live by Lexington 1 high school. Once we put in we go back the first bridge on Rt. 378. We have been over in Bear Creek a couple of times. My wife likes the more open coves. We have a red 07 LS. Our friends have an 04 red and black LSV. Hope to see you out there. We go every weekend and during the week when we can.

SC07LS
07-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Jixxxer,
Like kaneboats said, make sure you water test it after he gets the gauges repaired. Another thing to ask is where he gets it serviced and call up that place to get any info. on any problems he might have had or brought it in for. I have learned a lot by doing that. Most places will offer that information up pretty easily. As you know boats are great, but very expensive to fix. Good luck with your search.

K_E_N
07-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Shannon, you're right, Jonesborro isn't too awful far from Monroe. Have him meet you at MLR this weekend. If he fixes the guages and is willing to negotiate some on the price, it may be worth a look.