PDA

View Full Version : Propeller Shaft Coupling

carsondoc
10-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Can someone describe the propeller shaft coupling for me? What maintainance needs to be done on it?

Thanks.

Catdog1
10-10-2003, 05:23 PM
There is a coupling, brass on mine, that connects the transmission output shaft with propeller shaft.

I've not yet ever touched it, nor do I think maintenance is required.

Why do you ask?

carsondoc
10-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Check out the indmar and boat manual. Both say to annually remove the attaching hardware from the propeller shaft coupling and coat the flanges with multipurpose grease.

Thanks for your help b/c I could not figure out what they were talking about.

Catdog1
10-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Mine is older and doesn't appear to have such guidelines.

Maybe your set-up is different.

purplepower
10-10-2003, 11:06 PM
I have older inboard Boats. Once a year I separate this flange to ensure the allignment is correct between the engine and shaft and adjust if neeeded. Theoretically there could be a slight shift in the engine due to collapsing of the engine mounts (or worse) over time. This would put strain on the shaft and also the strut bearing would fail. This may be the reason why they suggest separating the flanges. It makes sense to lubricate them before reassembly however this would just be for anti-corrosion. I have only owned my Moomba for a few months so I have not carried out this check yet.
More important is to check the stuffing box. I was not impressed that the rear seat had to be removed and floor unscrewed to check the fitting. If stuffing box is overtightened (often the case) and fails, water is going to come in quickly! Not nowing the service history of my boat, I checked it regularly for the first few weeks. What a pain.
Tony

Catdog1
10-11-2003, 07:07 AM
Thanks. I need to change the strut bearing ( cutlass bearing ), and will now know to check the alignment.

Do you have any tricks for sighting the alignment, and for changing the alignment if needed? Turning the screws looks easy, but I need to be able to assess progress.

Regarding the packing, and extending the thought to all other
water entry points under the floor on the Direct Drive boats...

Out of necessity I found and have practiced a way on the 99 outback to get to these parts fast ( about 60 seconds ). I remove the engine cover and floor as one piece. I never screw the floor down.

Brian Raymond
10-11-2003, 10:56 PM
Engine to shaft coupler alignments should be done at the begining of every season, this is very important, it will reduce packing gland and strut bearing wear, and eliminate vibration. Your local dealer is able to do this for you when you have the boat dewinterized, or, contact; [email protected] for a faxable instruction sheet for the D.I.Y.er. Brian Raymond

purplepower
10-13-2003, 10:34 PM
There you go! Thanks again Brian. This job is not hard but you need a set of feeler gauges and a little time.
Tony

Catdog1
10-14-2003, 12:43 AM
Thanks. Emailed today for the fax.

Any more tips would be appreciated. Targeting this weekend to attack this problem.

purplepower
10-14-2003, 08:45 AM
As I mentioned before, I run a 50's inboard. It is a blast and has been a good ski boat for the family. I rebuilt the boat myself so I have a habit of spending time with my head in the \"oily parts\" just to make sure all is well.
Anyway, when I bought the Moomba at the end of this season I assured my wife that this nearly new boat would need nothing in the way of pampering and TLC. That was the sales pitch and it worked.
The day it arrived on our drive I stripped out the interior and floor just to confirm the low hours and to make sure there were no hidden problems. My wife took one look at the bits of boat all over the drive, shook her head and went back inside. I have tried to keep the service time to a minimum since then. For this season anyway.
The boat did redeem itself the next evening. It was the first night of the blackout and I was out polishing the Moomba. The rest of the family joined me to listen to the radio for news of what was going on. Before long, the neighbours were over with refreshments, making themselves comfortable on board. Our first boat party, right there on the drive.
Tony