PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem?

Appleknocker
07-08-2008, 12:39 AM
So over the weekend I had the wife luanch me at the landing and then drive the trailer back to the cottage on the other side of the lake. She got about 3/4 of the way there when the trailer started bouncing which in turn made the brakes lock up. Not too big of a deal except that when the trailer brakes locked up she said she lost all power in our 2008 Tahoe. She said it basicaly shut the Tahoe down. Kinda scarry when she had both the kids in the car.

Has this ever happened to anyone before, and do you think its a trailer problem or a Truck problem. The Tahoe has 5,000 miles on it so I am going to bring it in and have them look at it seeing as though it's still under warranty. I bought the boat and the single axle trailer in July of 07 so the warranty on that is just around the corner.

Just wondering your thoughts.

Sled491
07-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I haven't had this kind of issue but the trialer brake lock out on my 07 doesn't work anymore. Hasn't affected my truck though.

zegm
07-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Appleknocker,

I don't understand what power did you loose, engine power in the tahoe because it was having difficultly pulling a locked trailer or electrical power loss on the tahoe? These GM products actually have fuses just for the trailer connection. In other words the backup lights for the truck and the backup lights for the trailer connection (which disengages the brakes on the trailer) have separate fuses. It is the same for the brakes and turn signals, they are seperate. I don't see how the brakes locking mechanically could cause an electrical issue with the SUV?

kaneboats
07-09-2008, 08:44 AM
I've blown the trailer fuse before. I suspect the trailer locked up and may have even stalled the tow vehicle.

zegm
07-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah, that is my thought too!