PDA

View Full Version : Chipped my swim deck

Bombguy
07-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Like a dumb @ss, I dropped my swim deck when putting away the boat last weekend. One place it chipped all the way through the corner. I don't think I damaged the structural inegrity. Any suggestions as to how to fix it? Should I suck it up and use it until I can save my pennies to get a new one? The two damaged areas are about the size of the bottom of a beer bottle or smaller.

Neil

JesseC
07-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Neil,
look at it this way, the first time someone decides to put their board on while standing on the platform and then turn and slide off with aluminum fins on the bottom and they take a chunk out of the platform, you can say, "that's ok". Mine has a few hairline cracks where the previous owner must have backed into something. Chips and nicks are going to happen. It is a boat....I try to do everything I can to keep her looking like new, but things happen. So now when one of your buddies does the above scenario, you can just fine him a beer and not feel so bad. As long as there are fins on boards/skis/knee boards things are gonna get chipped. I too have chipped mine while putting it away for winter. This winter just fill it with resin and use it until it falls off, when that happens, get a new one. Run the one you have for now....eventually the new one will look exactly like the old one.

zegm
07-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Guys!!!!!!

Real Ski boats have teak!!!!!! And for 250 it will look beautiful and chip?????? OK, OK I am going to get the teak maintenance issues. I had a teak deak on the 1975 MasterCraft and it still looked great when I sold that boat a month ago!!! Boaters world, get a bottle of teak oil, squirt in rag every now and then (actually for us it was end of season and beggining of season) wipe it on! We get more coments about our pretty teak deck than anything else and it really helped sell that 33 year old boat too!!!! Fiberglass is for hulls!

Bombguy
07-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Okay, I feel better.

I considered a teak platform, but after gassing up both the boat and truck this weekend, I can barely afford to pay attention.

kaneboats
07-08-2008, 10:10 AM
I can no longer fill the Suburban. I get down near 1/4 tank and pull in to fill up. It shuts off at $75 every time before filling. The other day I pulled up and dropped another $65 in the boat. OUCH! Usually it's $40 to $50. Must have done more riding than usual the time before.

SEARK
07-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Like a dumb @ss, I dropped my swim deck when putting away the boat last weekend. One place it chipped all the way through the corner. I don't think I damaged the structural inegrity. Any suggestions as to how to fix it? Should I suck it up and use it until I can save my pennies to get a new one? The two damaged areas are about the size of the bottom of a beer bottle or smaller.

Neil

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing to mine when it was less than a month old. It's in the water most of the time so no one has ever even noticed. It's not as bad as the chip thats in the side of my boat where I got tagged by a pontoon boat. That one hurt me.