PDA

View Full Version : Speakers?

outback 4
07-07-2008, 02:45 PM
So i've finally got the wife talked into upgrading our stereo system in our 2006 Outback since I can't seem to sell it and i was curious what exactly i should look into. I want to at least get an amp and tower speakers but i'm not sure if i need a sub as well. It came with a kenwood deck and 4 in boat speakers. Would the tower speakers and an amp make much of a difference or do i need to look at upgrading everything? Would I need to install another battery? I'm not trying to be the loudest boat on the water but just want something that sounds good and might be able to listen to while beached. Any info, opinions, or recommendations would be appreciated?

cj11302000
07-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey Outback4...I upgraded my 2005 Outback with 6 Polk DB651's and two Samson Sports Tower Speakers with Focal's in them. These are really nice because they swivel 360 degrees and are removable. I also put a 10" Kicker CVR Sub by my feet and another 10" Kicker CVR Sub in a box in the storage area under the glovebox. I also have two batteries with Perko switch and a Kicker 750 watt 5 channel amp and another 600 watt 4 channel amp. I have a Kenwood deck with Ipod hookup and Sirius radio...along with the driver's remote and a remote by the transom. The tower speakers made a huge difference along with the upgraded in-boat speakers over the stock ones. I also gotta say the amps are a must along with good quality subwoofers. I previously had two 10" Clarion marine subs and they are nothing compared to the Kicker's I have.

Let me know if you need more info or any pictures. Good luck!

jmvotto
07-08-2008, 06:36 AM
cj,

sorry to hijack, nice setup, what Kenwood deck are you running? how do you have the ipod and sirius running at the same time "if" you deck has one cd player input.

cab13367
07-08-2008, 03:23 PM
So i've finally got the wife talked into upgrading our stereo system in our 2006 Outback since I can't seem to sell it and i was curious what exactly i should look into. I want to at least get an amp and tower speakers but i'm not sure if i need a sub as well. It came with a kenwood deck and 4 in boat speakers. Would the tower speakers and an amp make much of a difference or do i need to look at upgrading everything? Would I need to install another battery? I'm not trying to be the loudest boat on the water but just want something that sounds good and might be able to listen to while beached. Any info, opinions, or recommendations would be appreciated?

I replaced all the stock Kenwood speakers with the Polk db651's as well as added two tower speakers with the same Polks. The Polks are great - they sound good, are relatively inexpensive, and are marine rated. You could spend a lot more money on speakers and not get a whole lot better sound. I also recently added a 10" Polk sub in the footbox. I run all 8 polk full range speakers off one 4 channel old school Sony amp (wired parallel so it sees a 2 ohm load) and it sounds great. I run the sub bridged off a separate two channel amp.

Here's the link to the sub install:
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=4958&page=5

And to the tower speakers install:
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=5467

I don't play my stereo super loud and only installed the tower speakers so that I can hear the music while anchored and swimming behind the boat without blasting out the people in the boat. I have no desire to hear music while riding 70' behind the boat.

Most people run mutiple batteries when running multiple amps but I have gotten by with one battery, even while anchored and running the stereo for an hour or so at a time. I have a portable jumpstart thing that I keep fully charged and in the boat in case I run drain the battery to the point that it won't start the boat. So far, I've not needed to use it.

Hope that helps.

Al

kaneboats
07-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Just picked me up one of them portable jump start things last night. Great deals on them at Harbor Freight right now.

04OUTBACK
07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Ditto the portable jump start thingy.. We anchor and chill a bit, but If we are out 5 hours there is probably at least 4 hrs on the motor.. not enough time to drain the battery..
I do run 2 amps, but when we are anchored, I don't rock out too loud... so I am not running the amps hard..