PDA

View Full Version : Highest rpm recomendation

K_E_N
07-07-2008, 01:48 PM
With recent discussion regarding top speed in our Moombas, I began to wonder just how fast some of you guys turn your engines. I don't like to cruise beyond 3500rpm. I will approach 4000rpm in short bursts while passing another boat or when pulling someone. However, I tend to never exceed 4000rpm. What is the recomended "redline" of the 350c.i. power plants? How many rpm do you cruise at? I doubt this discussion will change my habits. My boat is a 2004 LSV with nearly 500 hours, so in my thinking, it's getting a bit old to really stress. I bought it used in April and know only limited details regarding the boat's history.

cj11302000
07-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I generally limit my high rpm's to around 4000. If the water is flat...I have no problem letting her run at 4000 while cruising straight ahead. I have the 2005 Outback with the carbureted engine...which by the way, has ran perfectly since brand new!

Buttafewcoe
07-07-2008, 07:47 PM
4800 max.....generally only short bursts (you can watch the gas guage go down).
Cruise @ 2500 tho, just after she gets on plane
Hope this helps
B

teamctl
07-07-2008, 09:12 PM
We tow riders between 3000 RPM and 3100 RPM with ballasts full and 8 people (22-24 MPH) and half wake-plate. Without the ballast full we cruise at 27-30 MPH and 3500-3700 RPM depending on number of people and river conditions. Like others have said, we burst to 4000 to 4100 RPM when passing. I've topped out at 41 MPH for a few seconds just to see what she could do, but quickly backed off. We've got 130 trouble free hours since last purchasing her at the end of May 2007.

KEN: I hate to say it, but we're going to be out-of-town for the Moon Lake Ride. Ya'll have fun, be careful, and let the guys from Louisiana Watersports feel some Funroe love.

zegm
07-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah this good ole Chevy pretty much signs off after about 4500 rpm. Now if you get the new 6.0L engine they come alive after 4000rpm. The RPM limiting factor can be a couple things, valve springs, if you rev too high you could get valve float depending on the springs being used and while not bad for a second or two it can cause a valve to drop. And the other limiting factor is the program for the Fuel Injection, it depends on how many RPMs delco decided to program the FI for. I used to race German cars with the early Bosch L-Jetronic (virtually what all manufacturers use today) and I could build an engine to rev easily to 7000RPM but the Fuel Injection had no map or programming for anything higher than that. She would just stop running until the RPM's dropped back down to 6999RPM!!!
But like Butta, I cruise at 2500rpm and have yet to get over 4k, well I haven't completely broken in the new engine yet!!! But after that I might see how fast she will get but once the speedo peaks I will be back to 2500rpm.

K_E_N
07-08-2008, 04:12 PM
KEN: I hate to say it, but we're going to be out-of-town for the Moon Lake Ride. Ya'll have fun, be careful, and let the guys from Louisiana Watersports feel some Funroe love.

Yeah, I knew you guys had said that you weren't going to be able to make it out. I was hoping that had changed. I think I saw ya'll this past weekend. We've been launching at Moon Lake, going north to ride, then chilling on the "first beach" there near the lake to let my kids play in the sand and water.

Maybe next year.

As far as Louisiana Watersports, I haven't heard if Ben or Eric are coming, but I sure hope so. When I first mentioned it to them last year, both seemed interested.