PDA

View Full Version : Used boats with no service history

deafgoose
07-07-2008, 12:19 PM
The closest Moomba dealer is 3hrs away and I don't own a truck so it makes it hard to get my boat serviced.

I plan to do everything myself and was wondering if that will effect the resale value of the boat.

NCSUmoomba
07-07-2008, 12:37 PM
As long as you keep good records and keep all your reciepts for oil and filters and such. Maybe keep a log with hours and service you performed. I do all my maintenance for everything I have owned and never had trouble selling a car this way. I bought my Outback when it was 4 years old, and there were no service records with it at all. It had less than 100 hours on it and I figured that no one could do that much damage to it is so few hours. Personally, I feel like I am more particular about service and maintenance than the dealer would be.

deafgoose
07-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am very picky about keeping up with maintenance also.

Is there a way to get a service manual for my boat? I was able to download the pdf version for my Mazda RX8 online.

04OUTBACK
07-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I agree.. I keep a log of hours used and when service is done. I don't keep receipts but expect that most would trust my log..
One other option would be finding an Indmar service center. My nearest Moomba dealers are 2 1/2 and 3 hrs away. But, there is a marina that is Indmar certified.
Here is a list of Indmar dealers/service centers in Ontario.. Not up on my geography so I don't know if any of these are closer than your dealer..

http://www.indmar.com/DealerLocator/CN.html

I would recommend the initial 20 hr service to be done by a dealer/svc center just to make sure all checks out and is aligned.
BW

deafgoose
07-07-2008, 01:09 PM
I agree.. I keep a log of hours used and when service is done. I don't keep receipts but expect that most would trust my log..
One other option would be finding an Indmar service center. My nearest Moomba dealers are 2 1/2 and 3 hrs away. But, there is a marina that is Indmar certified.
Here is a list of Indmar dealers/service centers in Ontario.. Not up on my geography so I don't know if any of these are closer than your dealer..

http://www.indmar.com/DealerLocator/CN.html

I would recommend the initial 20 hr service to be done by a dealer/svc center just to make sure all checks out and is aligned.
BW

The closest dealer on that list is 3.5hrs away.

Thanks anyways!

I think I will take your advice and take it to my dealer for the 20hr service and do the others myself.

kaneboats
07-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Be sure to note the dates as well as the hours. Don't abbreviate too much-- just b/c you can read it now doesn't mean you'll be able to read it later (or anyone else for that matter). Good luck!

Nothing wrong with a seller who does his own as long as it gets done. I bought my boat from a guy who's a mechanic that builds custom cycles. Mechanically it was perfect but cosmetically it was a little rough. Spent some time sanding, polishing and making new seat covers. Very happy overall though.