PDA

View Full Version : My first wakesurfing experience. *video*

deafgoose
07-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I have never done wakesurfing before so I am not quite sure if I am setup properly.

I filled my left rear ballast and center ballast and had two people in the boat.

I am thinking I still need more weight or a faster board because if I move the surfboard back and fourth in the wave I fall behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2WRj_8yD-A

deafgoose
07-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Yep. I just started last week.

I really love the way the board feels. Very predictable but the more I use it I am starting to notice that it's not as fast as I would like.

I am hoping more weight will solve the problem.

newty
07-06-2008, 04:20 PM
deafgoose, just put another sac in the seat on you surf side. It looks like you were about the right speed there at the end but you need a little more weight on the side your surfing. My buddy has the same set-up and it rocks with 2-3 people. You can always forego the sack and bring a pile of friends and stack them on the sides.
GL

deafgoose
07-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I will give that a try.

Since I am not using the ballast on the right I could put that on the seat instead.

What else do I need besides a Tsunami pump?

moombadaze
07-06-2008, 07:35 PM
goose, more weight on surf side is needed- your wave can get almost twice as big--what are you runnung now? do you have the wake plate?

Sled491
07-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Deafgoose, very cool. I just got to use my new surf board for the 1st time this week. I never watched any videos so it was all trial and error. When I finally got up it was way cool. I have a Walker Project X5, I seriously suggest you find one and try it out.

deafgoose
07-06-2008, 07:45 PM
goose, more weight on surf side is needed- your wave can get almost twice as big--what are you runnung now? do you have the wake plate?

Yes.

Wake plate was all the way up.

Tyger
07-09-2008, 12:02 PM
With time you will learn to ride even in the shortest of wakes. I'm not an expert yet, but I'm getting better. Especially when crossing another boat's wake, I have to surf up closer to the boat as the wake collapses a bit.

To get more wake I would do as they suggest and add more ballast on the surf side. Also make sure that any passengers are in the rear of the boat until you find the right set up. Finally play with the wake plate from 1/2 to full and the throttle. I've found different settings work better depending on conditions and even the rider. Faster speed generally means a longer pocket, that is until the boat gets on place and the wake dies. :) From the look of your wake, I would say a bit slower.

Finally, as Ed says, don't be so quick to throw in the rope. As long as you have slack you are surfing. Keep the rope even if you have total slack so that if you do get too far behind you don't lose it. I've only been out surfing maybe 20-25 times, but I can free ride for 10 minutes easily. However, I still use the rope sometimes if I'm trying something like finding the back of the pocket (to see how far back I can ride) or 360s.

Sled491
07-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh Ed, come on now!

cab13367
07-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Here's a video of my 11 year old son last summer. I only had the stock ballast at the time so the set up was the 400lb center bag and 275lb surf side bag filled, four adults on the boat (my parents, me and my wife), plus one child. Going about 10mph, wakeplate halfway down. My son only weighs about 70lbs to he doesn't need a huge wave, just a nicely shaped one. We now have a 400 lb and 750 lb sac but even with just me and my wife on the boat and the 400 lb bags filled (front and surf side), he can go forever. The 2006 LSV hull really puts out a nice wave. And oh, he surfs on a 4'-4" Hyperlite Coex.

Al

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=17293529

deafgoose
07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Here's a video of my 11 year old son last summer. I only had the stock ballast at the time so the set up was the 400lb center bag and 275lb surf side bag filled, four adults on the boat (my parents, me and my wife), plus one child. Going about 10mph, wakeplate halfway down. My son only weighs about 70lbs to he doesn't need a huge wave, just a nicely shaped one. We now have a 400 lb and 750 lb sac but even with just me and my wife on the boat and the 400 lb bags filled (front and surf side), he can go forever. The 2006 LSV hull really puts out a nice wave. And oh, he surfs on a 4'-4" Hyperlite Coex.

Al

Error: Sorry, this is a private video.

cab13367
07-12-2008, 01:20 AM
Error: Sorry, this is a private video.

It's public now. Please try the link again.

deafgoose
07-12-2008, 02:23 AM
It's public now. Please try the link again.

Wow that kids good!!!!

I would guess he has been doing it for years cause he looks so relaxed. lol

Nice vid, thanks for sharing. :D

cab13367
07-12-2008, 11:28 AM
deafgoose,

Last summer was our 1st time wakesurfing and when that video was taken, my son had probably done it a total of a dozen times. But he has been wakeboarding for about 3 years and is an expert snowboarder so I think that experience translates over into surfing. Plus the fact that he is so light. He makes it look really easy.

sled,

We don't meet many Keenans so it's good to know there are a few out there!

Al