PDA

View Full Version : Water leak

Topher1973
07-03-2008, 03:02 PM
I have a 2005 Outback with the ballast system. My engine compartment continues to fill with water until the bilge comes on and drains it. I have checked the gland nut and had it repacked. All is good there. I can not see where the water is coming in.

I am planning on putting it in the lake and watching it for awhile to try and find the leak.

Any areas I should watch out for?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Buttafewcoe
07-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Check the ballast system strainer. It may not be seated right. Me 04 OB has an inlet valve plumbed in right above the draw off the lake, so when I'm not using the system I can shut the water off completely. If yours has one, turn it off. That will eliminate (or confirm) the ballast system as being the problem.
Your boat doesn't have 2 drain holes and yer leaving one plug out? (not trying to insult you, I've seen stranger stuff).
Check yer thru - hull fittings for leaks. May need to reseal one
hope this helps
B

mjhackett82
07-05-2008, 12:15 PM
My experience with water in the bilge:

Some of my ballast pumps/bags connections did not have clamps on them, they came loose and pumped water into the bilge.

Other water leaks I have had are the plastic connections (90 deg elbows, one end is threaded the other is straight and connected to a cooling line) for the water cooling system. They are located on the ends of the manifolds. The threads on mine were a little melted and I had a constant stream of water leaking out. It was enough to eventually turn on the bilge. I tightened them and added teflon tape and have not had my pump turn on yet.