PDA

View Full Version : Starting inboard on trailer

TA69man
07-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Anything special that needs to happen when starting an inboard on a trailer? I have always had outboards and only needed to prime the motor and apply water to the motor's foot. Just bought a used Mobius and don't want to screw it up!

Thanks!

Reese350
07-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the Moomba Club TA! We made the move from an I/O to an inboard and will never go back.

As for starting it on shore, I always use a device called a "Fake a Lake". You can find it at just about any marina for around $50. It's like a plunger that you wedge up against the water intake and hook a garden hose to it.

From what I understand, if you start it dry you run the risk of damaging the impellar which will lead to damaging the engine by overheating it. I also have the impellar changed every year to avoid that risk.

Here is a link to it on Overtons:
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=32740&pdesc=Fake_Lake_Flusher&merchID=1008&str=fake%20lake

Check it out...

Scott

RYAN
07-03-2008, 01:22 PM
If your a cheap bastard like me, paying 50 bucks for a "fak a lake" is great but you can make one even cheaper. I went to the dollar store and bought a toilet plunger, a valve ( like the yellow ones you use off the garden hose ) and some epoxy. Cut a hole just large enuff fit the opening of the valve into the bottom of the plunger and epoxy it in place. the whole goal is for it to function as a bowl full of constant water, aka "fake a lake". Just remember, never run that engine without water running to it for very long. Go to any boat shop and ask to look at one. After you see it, you can get a good idea what yours needs to look like if you get confused how to make it.....

yager97
07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
is there anything wrong with just taking the raw water strainer off and putting a hose into the intake, running the water and starting your engine that way? thats how I normally do it, and it seems to work fine, water comes out the mufflers, engine runs at normal operating temp, all seems good

04OUTBACK
07-03-2008, 01:37 PM
You can go to home depot and buy a $5 plunger and a $1 hose fitting (Quick disconnect Male) and make your own too! I drilled the plunger a hair smaller than the fitting size and greased it up and poppped it in.. Look up the fake a lakes and see how they are built and you'll understand!

the other option is the Perko Flush Pro kit... it fits inline on your water line into the motor.. They are about $60..I had that on my last boat, but have not put one on this one..

kbezold
07-05-2008, 11:33 AM
is there anything wrong with just taking the raw water strainer off and putting a hose into the intake, running the water and starting your engine that way? thats how I normally do it, and it seems to work fine, water comes out the mufflers, engine runs at normal operating temp, all seems good

I do the same thing. The garden hose end fits right into the v-drive intake after you remove the hose that comes from the intake on the bottom of the boat. It works great.