PDA

View Full Version : Keys!!

kaneboats
07-03-2008, 02:40 AM
Advice by zegm to deafgoose about taking the keys with you when you dive to cut the rope out of the prop made me think of something I thought I'd share. This stuff is timely with the holiday weekend approaching.

A long time ago my Dad told me to hide a key on every vehicle I own. He said that when you lose your keys it will be at a time when it's the least convenient and you are the most stressed out. Over the years I followed the advice and saved a date one time and some walking and embarrassment other times with the car keys. One time back in the Chicago area my new wife had left her keys at work. After an hour train ride she couldn't even get in the car at the station. When she called I told her where to look and it saved me a very long ride to go after her.

When I got my first boat I resolved to do the same thing. Nothing like trailering 40 min. and at the ramp realizing you don't have the key b/c it's in your top drawer from when you took off your trunks last time. About 3 weeks ago I had out of town guests going boating, was runing behind and was a little stressed out due to weather. Of course the key was MIA. I had to get out my backup key for the Outback. I was glad I was ready.

Anybody else have ideas, war stories or just good advice to share?

Everybody have a safe weekend. I don't want any bad news going into the Hotlanta Jamboree.

zegm
07-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Well I can say that my sister and her two kids are coming down from Atlanta to go skiing with us here!!! Time to teach some new ones on some skiis and have a mini Atl. Jamboree here!

yearround
07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
i am with kane, my father always had me leave a key hidden on the vehicle, accessible with the doors locked. have similar saved by the spare stories.

i store the boat in the garage, i always leave the key in the ignition, but i do have the spare on board for use when "nobody" touches the key, but it is missing.

deafgoose
07-03-2008, 10:15 AM
I keep a set of boat keys on my car key ring. I have to drive to the marina anyways so I am never without!

04OUTBACK
07-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Back in March, some co-workers took my truck to an out of town meeting... I had great plans of doing some beginning of the year maintenance and test driving the boat to de winterize.. Late Fri nite i remembered my boat key chain was in console of truck, as it always is.. I sent messges to the crew leaving in my truck early the next am to look for it before they leave.. they could not find it.. i did not have it at home... and I WAS STUCK!
Only got one key with the boat and was bummed..
on the way to drop the boat off at storage, I stopped in auto zone... BOOM.. they had a universal ignition for $9.99.. I was in.. it came with 4-5 keys.. SO, there are keys on the boat key chain and truck key chain now. I need to stash one of them in the boat somewhere too!

I want to put the original ignition in but want to get extra keys.. Anybody ever gotten extra keys made for their boat? Can you do this at norma key shop or have to order from dealer/sc?

SEARK
07-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I want to put the original ignition in but want to get extra keys.. Anybody ever gotten extra keys made for their boat? Can you do this at norma key shop or have to order from dealer/sc?

The keys don't look like anything special. I would almost bet that a normal key shop could make new ones.

kaneboats
07-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Got mine done at the big orange Tony Stewart place.

zabooda
07-03-2008, 04:01 PM
I hide a key on all my vehicles also and used them a few times. I had a boat tied up to a dock and someone took the key out of my boat and tossed it and i ended up driving 30 miles round trip to get another key. Now I don't leave the key in the ignition but i also have a key hidden. Can't do it on my daughter's car not at $140 a key.

Buttafewcoe
07-03-2008, 06:24 PM
one in the boat, one in the tow vehicle...just in case........oh yeah, and I know how to hot wire it too....just in case

04OUTBACK
07-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I'll try the orange place..
Thanks..

Sled491
07-06-2008, 07:36 PM
I think it would be cool to have a push button ignition. Maybe a key pad with a security code and then just push the little red button and Vroom, your on your way! And ecasue no one knows where I live except Z, the key never leaves the boat. I have done this for a decade and never had a stolen boat yet. I'm not saying the key is in the ignition, it's just not on my dresser at my other house.

bamaspiveys
07-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Borrow a friend's spare key! LoL so funny that you guys are talking about this.

We were at the lake this weekend,my buddy has a Bryant 206, so we were going to cruise over to see the fireworks on the fourth.

We got down to the dock and got all 11 people in the boat, and started looking for the key. He and his wife were about to come to blows when they realized the key was back up at the RV. I pulled out my key chain put the moomba key in and she cranked right up.

We all died laughing!

I have a 6 boat keys, one on my tahoe set and one on the silverado set, so does my wife, and we each have a set for the RV and they each have a boat key too.

Now I know I can borrow the Bryant keys too.

Also know how to hot wire in a pinch!

kaneboats
07-07-2008, 10:26 AM
That's hilarious. Not many folks would have tried that one. The biggest problem I have with the spare key is with all the different vehicles trying to remember where the heck I put it on each one.