PDA

View Full Version : Rope got caught in my prop. :(

deafgoose
07-02-2008, 11:08 PM
I was moving from one dock to another so I left the rope on the cleat and threw the rest on top my sun deck. The wind pushed it off into the water and as I was backing up the engine stalled.

I looked back and the rope was gone so I knew exactly what happened. I had to cut the rope off the cleat because it was crazy tight.

Does the fibreglass swim platform float? I need to take that off to make it easier to access the prop.

Do you guys think I damaged something? The rope was 3/8" thick.

deerfield
07-02-2008, 11:14 PM
deafgoose - If it's a bet, I say it sinks - like a stone. But, I don't know. My gut tells me fiberglass has no air or bouyancy (sp?) to make it float. Just a guess. Sorry about the rope thing. That's a pain. - Deerfield

zabooda
07-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Sounds like swim mask and knife time. You need to visually inspect it to ensure all of the rope has been removed.

zegm
07-02-2008, 11:39 PM
deafg,

Well I have owned an inboard for over 22 years and mind you it wasn't ME, funny the wife said it wasn't her either....hummmm, but anyway, we have you know gotten a rope or 2 wrapped around the driveshaft during this time. We have never damaged anything. You could possible ding (slightly bend) the prop but that 1" thick Stainless Steel drive shaft will make quick work of any rope. Luckily for us we have never had to "cut" one off as we have always managed to unwrap it. Now having it pull from the strut to the cleat I would inspect the strut the next time I had the boat out of the water to make sure it didn't pull the strut off to that side. However there is a Golden Rule to this procedure we have of getting the rope off while in the water!! Whoever goes under the boat has the boat keys stuck in their bathing suit pocket or bikini bottom/top (not sure where she puts it but she dang sure snatches it out of the ignition (well you know I tell her you wouldn't have to get so mad if you didn't just drive over the r.....)). We just don't trust each other sitting up there, you know what if they want to listen to the radio or something while waiting!!!!!

dtlaine
07-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Believe it or not, the fiberglass platform floats. I once had it on the boat w/out the pins (don't ask why), and when we had about five people in the back of the boat, it was low enough that when we hit a little wake from another boat, that wake floated the platform off. Someone said something when it was about 50 feet behind us. It never sank.

Good luck getting the rope off. I've had a $120 wakeboard rope meet its maker on my prop. I just kept cutting until it came off. It's a shame, but I guess that's life.

zegm
07-02-2008, 11:59 PM
dt,

Isn't it a shame when the woman runs over a good rope like that!!!!!
I think it is my time to run over a rope, the wife comes home with a stinking purple rope the other day!!! I can't be seen with a light purple rope!!!!

deafgoose
07-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Damn.. it's starting to sound like a common poblem!

I felt like the biggest moron for making that mistake.

Thanks so much for all the help. Looks like I am getting wet tomorrow.

zegm
07-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Well it is sort of a commom problem. I would say that at some point in time it happens to all of us. You just happen to be brave enough to admit it! :))) Where as I just blame the wife and hope she doesn't read the boards tomorrow.

For saftey sake take the keys with you as you go under!!!

cab13367
07-03-2008, 12:22 AM
deafgoose,

Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us. Happened to me for the first time this weekend. We had been anchored in a cove for about an hour when we decided it was time to do some surfing, so we fired her up and headed out to the other side of the no wake buoys. Problem is, I forgot to pull the anchor up. In my case, the engine never stopped. We just kept on surfing until I finally noticed the anchor rope still wrapped around the cleat. We were in about 70' of water. I had run over the anchor rope, and what was left of it was wrapped aorund the prop shaft. I jumped in the water and pulled the pins from the swim platform, got back in the boat, then my wife and I together pulled the swim platform up onto the sun pad. Thanks to this forum, I was prepared and had a dive mask and a dive knife with me. I was able to cut the rope free in a few minutes. I would have bet that the swim platform would sink so we didn't take any chances.

Not sure about zegm's advise to take the keys in the water with you. If they slip out of your pocket, your've got another problem :o). I'd just throw them in the golve box.

Al

deafgoose
07-03-2008, 12:44 AM
deafgoose,

Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us. Happened to me for the first time this weekend. We had been anchored in a cove for about an hour when we decided it was time to do some surfing, so we fired her up and headed out to the other side of the no wake buoys. Problem is, I forgot to pull the anchor up. In my case, the engine never stopped. We just kept on surfing until I finally noticed the anchor rope still wrapped around the cleat. We were in about 70' of water. I had run over the anchor rope, and what was left of it was wrapped aorund the prop shaft. I jumped in the water and pulled the pins from the swim platform, got back in the boat, then my wife and I together pulled the swim platform up onto the sun pad. Thanks to this forum, I was prepared and had a dive mask and a dive knife with me. I was able to cut the rope free in a few minutes. I would have bet that the swim platform would sink so we didn't take any chances.

Not sure about zegm's advise to take the keys in the water with you. If they slip out of your pocket, your've got another problem :o). I'd just throw them in the golve box.

Al

With the swim platform off.. would I be able to reach the prop with my head above water?

I am wondering if I can do this without a mask. If not I will pick one up tomorrow.

Tyger
07-03-2008, 01:11 AM
The swim platform definitely floats and floats well. Anything fiberglass should float, but this was one happy discovery when my swim platform ripped off last weekend. Look for my other thread on that subject.

You can definitely reach the prop without the platform. However, unless you are comfortable opening your eyes underwater, I would get a fairly cheap mask (definitely a wal-mart item; you can even return it after you use it once). While not as important as an I/O a visual inspection is important to make sure you get everything off the prop and shaft. If you can cut/rip the rope off without looking and then pop your head under and make sure it's all gone, that's good.

I had to do this on the lake recently, although that time was weed from a poor mooring job on my part. Have run over the rope before, too. Just one of those things.

kaneboats
07-03-2008, 02:28 AM
Ed G is an experienced rope cutter.

The key thing reminds me of some advice, especially with the holiday weekend coming up. I'm going to start a thread with my .02 on keys.

zegm
07-03-2008, 07:10 AM
OK I should ask a really important question here, ok here it is;

Doesn't everyone have their key on a "floating key ring????"

If not we need to start another thread I guess..................something like bring the mask, knife and now some fins so you can get down deep to get those keys you dropped! :)

We have so many of those stupid things the kids even have their house keys on them, so if anyone needs one I can probably help out, only don't expect me to send the Orange one that says Moomba on it that came with the boat.

yearround
07-03-2008, 09:53 AM
dt,

Isn't it a shame when the woman runs over a good rope like that!!!!!
I think it is my time to run over a rope, the wife comes home with a stinking purple rope the other day!!! I can't be seen with a light purple rope!!!!

i like purple.

zegm
07-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I guess to fix the problem I just need to go out and buy me a manly black rope. And I guess I shouldn't complain about her purple rope, it matches her new vest and her purple bikini.

04OUTBACK
07-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Goose,
My 2 times of rope vs shaft have required some underwater movement...
i found it easiest to back stern towards a shallow area and have someone hold the boat..
My guess since it had some pressure on it from the cleat, you'll have to spend some time underwater to get it undone..

take several sharp knives..

Does your marina have dry storage? Any chance they could lift it out onto a cradle there?

It has happened to all of us..

deafgoose
07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Goose,
My 2 times of rope vs shaft have required some underwater movement...
i found it easiest to back stern towards a shallow area and have someone hold the boat..
My guess since it had some pressure on it from the cleat, you'll have to spend some time underwater to get it undone..

take several sharp knives..

Does your marina have dry storage? Any chance they could lift it out onto a cradle there?

It has happened to all of us..

The current is strong and the shore is very rocky so that is not an option.

They don’t have dry storage either. I am going to have to do it the old fashioned way. ;)

kaneboats
07-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Nothing wrong with purple. I like the neon yellow, orange or green so I can see it good and don't drive over it. I'd rather be embarrassed about rope color than having to knife dive.

zegm
07-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Ok no one will believe this but yes we have had the rope go under the boat but I don't think we have ever driven over one. We have never cut a rope with the prop or had to cut one off the prop. Now that I say that though we will probably cut that pretty purple rope this weekend!!! My wife and I are a very good team on the boat and when someone goes down and we stop for whatever reason the rope is coming in the boat, even if it is to go right back out again. The times we have had it go under the boat is usually when a child is having trouble getting a ski on and the extra slack in the rope floats under the boat. Again the engine is off so the rope tends to find it way to the rudder or the prop.

cab13367
07-04-2008, 01:34 AM
With the swim platform off.. would I be able to reach the prop with my head above water?
I'm afraid not. You'll have to go under the boat to get to the prop shaft.

cab13367
07-04-2008, 01:35 AM
OK I should ask a really important question here, ok here it is;

Doesn't everyone have their key on a "floating key ring????"

zegm,

I guess you're right - I do have a floaty thing attached to mine. I will still throw the keys in the glove box instead of taking them in the water with me though :o)

Al

zegm
07-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Al,

I guess working in a factories for many years I am familiar with the "lock out, tag out" procedure. As long as they aren't in the ignition then you can feel safe playing with a rope tied around one of the most powerful blenders you will ever see!

kaneboats
07-07-2008, 10:38 AM
I had just dropped on Sat. and climbed back in. Went to pull the rope in and it was already caught up under the prop. It had gotten a little windy but within a minute it went from floating free benind the boat to caught up underneath. I couldn't pull it free either. I had to dive under and unhook it. No harm b/c we were shut down but that just shows how fast it can happen. This is a rope that still floats pretty good too. I may have to start the Z routine of just bringing it in every time. We can just hand the handle to the next rider then too. My almost 3 y/o son loves bringing the rope in so I might just give him the job.

deafgoose
07-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I was not able to dive under the boat because the water was way too merky.

I hired the owner of my Marina to pull the back of my boat out with a backhoe. :)

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
07-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Float on Keys: I think that is the only think my dealer "threw-in" with the purchase of my outback v. Unfortunately it has my dealers name on it.

SEARK
07-07-2008, 04:24 PM
I I may have to start the Z routine of just bringing it in every time. We can just hand the handle to the next rider then too.

That is something that I have got'n into the routine of doing. When we change riders it seems to take a while and the rope almost always ends up under the boat.

jester
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
That is something that I have got'n into the routine of doing. When we change riders it seems to take a while and the rope almost always ends up under the boat.

One thing that i have started to do is to turn the nose of the boat away from the handle. Since i have started doing that i have not had a problem with the rope going under the boat.

SC07LS
07-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I haven't had the pleasure yet of getting anything wrapped up in the prop. Thanks to the post I might want to add a mask and knife to the tool box.

Cab13367
As far as the anchor done that one. I blame it on my wife since she was driving and pulling me. After she pulled me up for the 3rd time or so she just suddenly stop and said the boat wasn't handling right. We summized it was the anchor tied to the bow was causing us problems. Thank god it was a sandy bottom, as we had to drag the anchor a couple of times.

Dave A
07-07-2008, 05:11 PM
I ran over my 1st rope this weekend. I thought I had goggles, but didn't. I had a Leatherman though, cut through the rope with ease. My wife was in the water, so naturally is was her fault.

Dave

kaneboats
07-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Absolutely! Her fault. Couldn't agree more. Closed case.

zegm
07-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Dave,

I hope she learns from her errant ways!
Our lake here is so crystal clear that we don't need a mask or goggles and luckily for me the wife hasn't run over the rope yet. Well she won't she loves her new purple rope!!!

Mobidick
07-08-2008, 12:57 AM
I found this thing on the internet,

http://www.prop-protector.co.uk/

It looks like it works well and no rope would stand a chance against it, BUT I don't like the idea of a razor sharp blade anywhere near where swimmer's might be. Or curious neighborhood kids for that matter.

deafgoose
07-08-2008, 01:13 AM
I found this thing on the internet,

http://www.prop-protector.co.uk/

It looks like it works well and no rope would stand a chance against it, BUT I don't like the idea of a razor sharp blade anywhere near where swimmer's might be. Or curious neighborhood kids for that matter.

I dont think many people swim under boats that have an inboard.

I will be looking into getting one of these for sure!!!

Here is the US website http://www.prop-protector.com/

zegm
07-08-2008, 07:17 AM
It looks pretty good but there is no way I would want to drill a hole through the driveshaft for a rope that I might catch once every five years or so.

Ian Brantford
07-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I had my boat drift over the rope once while we were changing riders. That caused enough of a fuss for permanent procedural changes:

- Driver makes a best effort to aim boat in correct direction when stopping for a fallen rider.

- The "new crew briefing" now includes defining that "secure the rope!" means that some person must take responsibility for the slack rope.

- If we need to do other things temporarily, the rope is not left by itself on the back. Instead, it is coiled and dropped over the pylon, along with the handle.

There has been no repeat of the drifting incident. I did manage to drive away with an anchor still attached to the bow ring once, though! Fortunately, it was a lousy backup anchor which promptly fell apart under the force.

zegm
07-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Sled,

I didn't see your reply to this, I still haven't fixed my settings. Well she has a rope that has black in it and a black bikini, a purple rope and a purple bikini but I think it was the new neopreme ski vest that was purple to tied all of those together. It is about time to get her a new bathing suit, towards fall down here you can get name brands for 1/2 price!!!!

zegm
07-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey this Saturday lets all meet on the beach!!!! I am sure we will have a big bad Thunderstorm hanging around so we won't be able to ski. What is cool is on Panama City Beach (the town across the bay where it is all tourist) has several Bathing suit stores!!!! They sell nothing but bathing suits, flip flops etc. So during the fall the prices go way down! These store have womans, mens and kids, of course the womans sections takes up 80% of the store. But they are name brands like Speedo, Jansen, etc that are good quality. No I won't admit to being in there trying on flip flops during spring break and it has nothing to do with those little itty bitty changing stall doors!!!! :cool:

zegm
07-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Well to be honest I am rather upset with that world famous restuarant right now. We had 2 of them here! One on this side of the bridge (Panama City) and the other on the other side of the bridge (Panama City Beach). Well last week as I was driving down the main road here I looked and saw the H:cool::cool:ters place was gone!!!!! Then while driving to the Navy Base on the Other side of the bridge I noticed they moved. But for the planned excursion this saturday that is good, that means that there will be one no more than a mile from us at any time!!!

kaneboats
07-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Is anybody serious about this? I haven't been to PC in 2 years. My wife loves the beach. I think Z's right about the weather though. Not sure if she'll want to get on the road after the long weekend either.

carsondoc
07-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Sadly, I have been in this predicament before. Now, I carry some swim goggles, a knife and 6 feet of garden hose in the boat at all times. I've found that I can use the hose to stay under water long enough to take care of the problem, but find it very difficult to do the job if I have to keep coming up for air all the time. Good luck.

GeauxTigers
07-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Well to be honest I am rather upset with that world famous restuarant right now. We had 2 of them here! One on this side of the bridge (Panama City) and the other on the other side of the bridge (Panama City Beach). Well last week as I was driving down the main road here I looked and saw the H:cool::cool:ters place was gone!!!!! Then while driving to the Navy Base on the Other side of the bridge I noticed they moved. But for the planned excursion this saturday that is good, that means that there will be one no more than a mile from us at any time!!!

Z:
Me and the Mrs sold our summer rental cottage in PC last November. We were sad to let it go but we are also glad we got out of that based on what the real estate market has been doing lately. It was on Seacrest beach. One heck of a beautiful house but we hardly got to use it being in Utah. It was a hassle to maintain thru the rental company because they would nickel and dime us to death.

jester
07-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Sadly, I have been in this predicament before. Now, I carry some swim goggles, a knife and 6 feet of garden hose in the boat at all times. I've found that I can use the hose to stay under water long enough to take care of the problem, but find it very difficult to do the job if I have to keep coming up for air all the time. Good luck.

I never thought of having 6 feet of hose on the boat. You should just have a scuba tank onboard so you can stay under long enough to take care of business the first time. It also comes in handy when oo someone forgets to attach the anchor to the boat before they drop it in the water or drops the $300 pair of sunglasses in the lake.

GeauxTigers
07-16-2008, 07:08 PM
I never thought of having 6 feet of hose on the boat. You should just have a scuba tank onboard so you can stay under long enough to take care of business the first time. It also comes in handy when oo someone forgets to attach the anchor to the boat before they drop it in the water or drops the $300 pair of sunglasses in the lake.

Jester.... that may work in fairly shallow lakes. Most of the lakes out here are 100 + ft. Deep. I have seen my depth finder go as far as 449 ft deep in Lake Powell.

Never had my boat in Tahoe, but I was there last year (w/o boat) and read that the average depth in that lake is 1000 feet!!! YIKES!

carsondoc
07-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Jester.... that may work in fairly shallow lakes. Most of the lakes out here are 100 + ft. Deep. I have seen my depth finder go as far as 449 ft deep in Lake Powell.

Never had my boat in Tahoe, but I was there last year (w/o boat) and read that the average depth in that lake is 1000 feet!!! YIKES!

Interestingly, Tahoe is exactly where I had to figure out how to stay under long enough to fix the rope-around-prop issue. So damn cold in that lake that you can only hold your breath for about 20 seconds at a time.

I think we should all just keep a "Scuba Jester" on board at all times. Just throw it in the lake when you loose something and it will fix it up for ya. Hey, maybe we're on to something--The Scuba Jester Dive Buddy. Patent pending.

zegm
07-18-2008, 12:52 PM
GT,

Sorry to hear you had to sell that property!
In the open section (as opposed to the sections that have a zillion old cypress stumps sticking out of the water) of Deerpoint Lake the average depth is about 8 ft! In some places where there was a creek bed it will get to a whopping 15ft or more!!! And right now the water temperature is problaby 87 or 88 degrees.

GeauxTigers
07-21-2008, 01:06 PM
GT,

Sorry to hear you had to sell that property!
In the open section (as opposed to the sections that have a zillion old cypress stumps sticking out of the water) of Deerpoint Lake the average depth is about 8 ft! In some places where there was a creek bed it will get to a whopping 15ft or more!!! And right now the water temperature is problaby 87 or 88 degrees.

Wow... that is shallow... any water mocassins swimming out there with you? I used to live in New Orleans and we'd go fishing on a flat boat off the Intracoastal waterway. Plenty of critters in there!!

GeauxTigers
07-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Interestingly, Tahoe is exactly where I had to figure out how to stay under long enough to fix the rope-around-prop issue. So damn cold in that lake that you can only hold your breath for about 20 seconds at a time.

I think we should all just keep a "Scuba Jester" on board at all times. Just throw it in the lake when you loose something and it will fix it up for ya. Hey, maybe we're on to something--The Scuba Jester Dive Buddy. Patent pending.

LOL... I know what you mean C.
It's a shame that a body of water that beautiful has to be that cold!

jester
07-21-2008, 08:59 PM

That is a great idea. Just have to add some vodka depending on how cold the lake is.

gdubb
07-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Well I am a little embarressed to admit this but I have wrapped an anchor rope and a 24" pontoon boat cover. The anchor rope was just being careless and I will take the blame for that. Pontoon cover was not my fault. There was a storm here and it blew off a boat and I ran it over. They both shut down the Moomba and everything was fine. I had to have it lifted out of the water and up wrapped. I should of taken pictures. I think that you will be alright once you get it done.

Got to love boating!

jester
07-21-2008, 11:18 PM
No compact model yet. We are still having a problem of after a long day it is passed out on the boat ramp.

gdubb,

When i was first reading the post i did not have a clue how you could run over a boat cover. Guess it is good to read to the end. Happy to hear the boat is ok after all that fun.