PDA

View Full Version : stereo question

bamaspiveys
07-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Boy this was fun-

I want to find a way to control the volume of my tower speakers separate from the boat speakers.

So I went to Bestbuy and described the situation:(sumarized version)
tower speakers on an amp, powered by the pre-amp output on the radio
boat speakers powered by the speaker outputs on the radio
looking for an equalizer or something to control the volume so skiers can hear the music without killing people in the boat.

(everyone on here has this problem and I should have asked this here first)

With a straight face, he started walking away and said, I think you would have to have one of these for that.... we walked and he pointed to the row with the home receiver units

So with an equally straight face I asked him if they had one that worked on 12volt power,
I swear to you he started looking at the tags and said no I think these all run on 110.

I said you do realize I am talking about a boat right

he said yea, but it is a big one to have speakers and a tower right?

So I went to one more shop down the road, that I have seen with boats outside.

same story from me....
the guy starts walking to the home electronics area, I am thinking no way!

he points me to a media selector switch and says with this one you can control up to 3 sets of speakers, I can probably order you one for two though

again, I asked for one in 12volt and he froze

I told him it was for a boat, no 110volt power available, he said oh this is on a small boat then, no we can't help you......

If you can invent a patch for stupidity you could buy Microsoft twice!

So dear moomba friends, how do you do this? Remember it needs to be 12volt!

zegm
07-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Wow, can't help you. I am not sure we have even turned on the stereo. Only got it because the kids are 8 and 11 and believe that sometime in the near future I will hear the boom.........boom boom emerging from their rooms.

jkendall79
07-02-2008, 10:59 PM
That's a pretty funny story Bama, I know how you feel. I've come to the conclusion that the only training the so-called "stereo pros" at big chain stores like Bestbuy get is how to work the cash register. As far as your question, I would think that you would be able to do this with an equalizer, but I'm not sure if will work if the in-boat speakers aren't amplified also. Hopefully someone on here knows, or if you have a car audio install shop in your area(where all they do is car audio!), I'm sure they would know what to do.

Aquaholic
07-02-2008, 11:01 PM
You need to see the Wet Sounds 420. It is perfect for what you are asking for. Plus it has a Mic to boot.

Aqua

04OUTBACK
07-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Wet Sounds is a great option I hear, but I have the more affordable version..
Clarion EQS746
It allows you to fade between front/rear.. I have the tower on the rear portion of the EQ, the 4 rear cockpit speakers on the front of the EQ and my sub running through the EQ.
Works great to allow more vol on tower and less in cockpit or vice/versa... Search ebay and google. you'll find them for around $50...
If you wanna spend some and get something strong, go for the WS-420..

The only other option I know of is the PAC-LC1's that allow you to control each amp separately...

FUNNY on the visit to BB ... Fun to go to stores like that and get that kind of response...

aerophoto
07-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Wow all that I just used the fader on the Kenwood receiver set the fader to front and boat speakers only set to back and I get the tower only. Anywhere in between will adjust for the tower and boat if I want the tower super loud I set the fader 90% to the rear and the inside of the boat is at 10% of the volume.

Simple... ;)

bamaspiveys
07-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Wow all that I just used the fader on the Kenwood receiver set the fader to front and boat speakers only set to back and I get the tower only. Anywhere in between will adjust for the tower and boat if I want the tower super loud I set the fader 90% to the rear and the inside of the boat is at 10% of the volume.

Simple... ;)

are your tower speakers running off an amp, or are the running off the speaker level outputs?

bamaspiveys
07-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Wet Sounds is a great option I hear, but I have the more affordable version..
Clarion EQS746
It allows you to fade between front/rear.. I have the tower on the rear portion of the EQ, the 4 rear cockpit speakers on the front of the EQ and my sub running through the EQ.
Works great to allow more vol on tower and less in cockpit or vice/versa... Search ebay and google. you'll find them for around $50...
If you wanna spend some and get something strong, go for the WS-420..

The only other option I know of is the PAC-LC1's that allow you to control each amp separately...

FUNNY on the visit to BB ... Fun to go to stores like that and get that kind of response...

that is exactly the model I have been looking at EQS746, wanted to see one in person
looks like Newty put one in too, sounds like you like it.

I'll check out the wetsounds, but I like that $50.00 if it works all the same.....

Thanks

tazz3069
07-03-2008, 07:42 AM
I found lots of the Clarion amps on ebay. They were all right around $50.00 plus shipping. There wasn't any of the Wetsound EG. WWW.wakeside.com had the ws450 for over $300.00 bucks. I know there is an inline volume control that is wired with RCA's that goes between the radio and amp. The only problem is that I can not remember where to get it. Before this sight was changed to the new format, there was a thread about it here. Sorry I could not be more help to you.

newty
07-03-2008, 08:31 AM
I really like mine. But I am also running 3 amps. towers, cabin, and sub. Yes, it works great to seperate the 3 but, when you are running your cabins off your deck then youre buying an EQ thats made to seperate all three to adjust one amp. (unless you plan on upgrading later) If I were you I would go to radio shack and tell them you need an inline RCA volume control. Should have a simple dial control and you can mount it any where. It just plugs into your rca's between your deck and amp.
GL

Dubwake21
07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Get the Wetsounds 420. It will independently adjust your boat and tower volumes. It has a mic that fades in and out over the music from your tower to your rider, and it can link boats with an aux jack output for tying up and listening to the same Ipod, CD, etc.

tlatoani
07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm with Dub. Get the WS420. It's quite possibly the best thing in my boat (other than my wife and kids of course). You don't have to fade between tower/interior, you can adjust each independently. And the mic is more useful than I ever expected.

04OUTBACK
07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Tazz/Bama
Look at http://www.cartronixplus.com $44.99

BW