PDA

View Full Version : Smoking trailer brake

Garn
07-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I have a new 07 Mobius LS. When I first got it the brakes on the trailer were dragging. My wheels were very hot and you could smell brake lining. I took it in to the dealer and he sprayed something on the coupling. That worked great for a few weeks. Last night I was heading to the lake. I had gone a few miles when someone pulled up next to me and said one of my tires was just smoking! I pulled over and not only was the tire red hot, but there was black oil dripping all over everything. I slowly drove to a tire shop. The guy took one look at it and said the brake is not releasing and it got so hot that the seal has blown. All the black oil dripping all over the tire was the wheel bearing oil. Now I basically have no bearing lubrication. My question is what would be causing the brakes not to free up? Also, my trailer should be covered under warrantee (the boat is only a few months old). But how do I get it to the dealer who is about 30 miles away? I could lose the wheel by the time I got there?

Thanks,

Garn

deerfield
07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Garn - Call the dealer - today. Speak with the shop or general manager. Explain the situation and ask how they would like to proceed. They may prefer you leave the trailer where it is and send one of their technicians to service the trailer. Or they may engage the local guy at the shop closer to you. Given that the trailer is under warranty, the dealer will take lead on getting it fixed. Am sorry you had this problem. Seems that I read a post earlier this year about a couple of other guys with brake problems of a similar nature. Might want to search the BB and see if any of that info might be helpful to you. - Deerfield

JesseC
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
That would have been me!!! I had to repack the bearings when my trailer brakes locked up.
I always press the brake release tab before trailering long distances.

Here is the thread to where it happened to others.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=5547

Garn
07-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the help and info. JesseC, what is the brake release tab that you mention? Would my 07 Boatmate trailer have this as well? What does it do? What is its purpose?

Also, I don't drive my truck hardly at all except for when I pull my boat. So most times I don't unhitch my boat from the truck. Would that be part of the problem? If so, why would that cause a problem?

Thank you,

Garn

04OUTBACK
07-03-2008, 02:00 PM
garn,
on the underside of the tongue of your trailer (right behind where the hitch ball goes in) there is a tab.. you should be able to find it pretty easily..