PDA

View Full Version : replacing manifolds

98outback
07-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I am putting new manifolds on my boat when I get home today and am wondering if I should put lock tite on the bolts or antiseize. The old bolts were seized up and had to be extracted with a lot of work. I hopefully dont plan on ever replacing these again.

zabooda
07-02-2008, 02:15 PM
I can't help you on the original question but I'm curious on how you determined a need for replacement. Did you run in brackish water? I'm trying to guess on when I will need to replace mine.

zegm
07-02-2008, 10:09 PM
ANTI SEIZE!!!!!!!!!!

Only use locktight in a situation were a loose fastener can cause major damage or harm to something or someone. As you have just experienced you already had your own home grown locktite and what you really desire is the ability to easily remove the exhaust in the future. Send an email to Larry at Indmar and ask him what is the correct torque value for the manifolds and then go out and buy some high quality anti-seize!

98outback
07-03-2008, 06:47 AM
I put the new manifolds on last night. It was not hard at all. I have an indmar book so I had all the torque specs for the bolts on the manifold and the bolts on the risers. I used a wire wheel to clean the block before putting on the new gasket. I made sure to put plenty of antiseize. I also talked to the nautique dealer down the street from my house and he said to put lock washers on everything and use antiseize. They are the ones who removed my original manifolds for me. Took them over 2 days because they thought they could just cut the heads off the bolts and then pull of manifolds and then extract the rest of the bolt. But once they cut the heads off they realized the manifolds had actuall seized to the bolts. These were the original manifolds and I bought the boat used about 4 years ago. It is a 98 outback. The were rusted bad and big chunks were coming off of it. The engine looks great and runs great. Has good compression on all cylinders. Im sure they ran it in brackish water alot.

zegm
07-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Part of what I do is design equipment for the US Navy. Currently I am having trouble using even stainless steel fasteners. I am now having to replace these with titanium ones!!! Salt water is great when you want to go to the beach and check out the chicks but for everything else it can be a nightmare!

98outback
07-03-2008, 11:16 AM
I should not have anymore problems now. I only use the boat at our lake house in clear fresh water.